Finrot in Australia

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by damprye, Apr 1, 2010.

1. d

damprye Valued Member Member

I think there is finrot come through from my my rescued Bettas, I knew I should not have used the same container to hold them in to fill up their tank. If it is finrot then it has contaminated the grow out tank too :-\.

What products can I use that are available in Australia to get rid of it?

2. blueiristyson

blueiristyson Valued Member Member

I rescued a goldfish from a guy who had it for 5 years.He didnt know what he was doing and the poor fish had a bad case of finrot when I got him.He suffered with ammonia for years.

His fins were completly gone. I went to petsmart and bought some Maracyn. I followed the directions and he got better. His fins are growing back and he is eating well. It really works.

Just make sure you take the carbon out of your filter cartridge before medicating your tank. If you dont do this the carbon will make the medicine not work. I hope this helps

3. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Valued Member Member

unless it is a VERY bad case of fin rot, clean water is the best cure.

4. OP
    OP
    d

damprye Valued Member Member

Their fins are getting all chewed up but I guess I will just have to try water changes everyday thanks to the Easter holiday :-/

I don't know if they stock Maracyn anywhere near me but the carbon is not a problem as about the only tank that doesn't seem to be affected in Muna's and she is the only one with the "waterfall" type filter, the rest are sponge or nothing, the ones with nothing get cycled water every second day.

The ammonia is at 0 so it's not from that, at least it would be easy to fix if it was an ammonia problem.

Is there anything that might be stocked in Australia? The bigger the list the better that way I should at least be able to get something.

5. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Damprye,

Sorry to hear about the fin rot. See if this link helps you any:
    https://www.fishlore.com/aquariummagazine/feb08/fish-finrot.htm

Pristine water conditions can go a long way in helping your fish to heal. Add some Vita Chem and Garlic Guard. Too, I'd add something to add body slime to the fish, Nova Aqua is what I use for my fish with every water change. Stress Coat. Do NOT use Melafix for Bettas. As for medicines, I would go with the advice in the link. I haven't used them personally.
    Best wishes!
    Ken

6. lyndra

lyndra Valued Member Member

I don't know if they stock it there but I use a NZ made product wunder tonic.. be careful if you do find it.. it kill plants apparently and turns everything blue/green if not used properly (including the silicone seal/corners)I haven't checked if it's safe for bettas

Acriflavine may work.. again I haven't used it on bettas because I haven't had finrot (although Im paranoid about it) it's our Cichlids that are battling with it at the moment.

I'd recommend finding an Aussie based fish forum.. I know there are the   ones for NZ - it might be worth having a look at something like that. I think the brand cross over will be greater between NZ/OZ then the USA/Oz

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice