Finrot? And Fish Id Questions Help

1. TheCrazyFishGuy

TheCrazyFishGuy Well Known Member Member

3878233B-9BB3-411C-8016-31B06E43B571.jpeg My rainbow shark’s dorsal and anal fin seem a bit ragged, with the fin starting red, but the ragged part is clear/white. Is this finrot? An aggressive fish? Damage from decorations?

Also, second question. What kind of fish is this? I was told it is a kind of botia that stays on the smaller side at my lfs but I can’t remember what kind they said it was. It is about 2 inches long and I got it about a week and a half ago. It was about 1.75 inches when I got it if I remember correctly.
    image.jpg

2. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

Fin rot will look black and ooky at the ends of the fins. Clear is new fin growth. Hope that helps. As far as the fish all i can say is yep its a fish. Lol

3. Farlowella Fella

Farlowella Fella Member Member

Can't help you with the fin rot but I believe that's a zebra loach (Biotia striata), they are quite social and should be kept in a shoal of at least 6.

4. OP
    OP
    TheCrazyFishGuy

Ok thank you

5. OP
    OP
    TheCrazyFishGuy

Hmm, maybe I should look into getting more.

6. OP
    OP
    TheCrazyFishGuy

Just a side note, the botia is quite squirrelly. Maybe this will help with its identification. Also, it explains the odd picture angle.

7. Farlowella Fella

Farlowella Fella Member Member

I've never seen one in person so maybe wait for a second opinion or check out Seriously Fish for ID info.

8. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Well Known Member Member

Doesn't look like a zebra to me.... more like Zodiac loach (Mesonoemacheilus triangularis).

9. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Well Known Member Member

10. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

It does not look like a Botia to me, I would lean toward some species of Noemacheilus or related. I would recommend going to the Loach website and searching there for a possible ID.

11. E

Eddy Initiate Member

Definetely botia striata have all sorts of botia in my tank

12. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

Definitely not Botia striata. Bar pattern is wrong, body shape is wrong, caudal fin is wrong. As stated before, it looks like a Noemacheilus or related genera.

13. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Agree...definitely not Botia striata. Can't help with what it is but it's definitely not a zebra loach...and I doubt it's a botia loach either. Looks more like an arrow loach to me or one of the related species.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted