Finrot? Added Driftwood.

potter

I added driftwood to my betta's tank. I did the nylon sock test and sanded whatever I could to make it safe. Does my betta's fins look okay? He's my first halfmoon and I'm not sure if I did a good enough job on the driftwood sanding.

Fanatic

That's not fin rot, it looks more like he has caught them onto something, what does the driftwood look like?

He could also be biting them as well, some of my bettas have done this in the past and sometimes it can take a load of efforts to prevent them from biting them.
Regardless, I would start by doing daily water changes, possibly adding aquarium salt to the new water as that may help in healing, or you can use almond leaves as well.

potter

Fanatic said:
That's not fin rot, it looks more like he has caught them onto something, what does the driftwood look like?

He could also be biting them as well, some of my bettas have done this in the past and sometimes it can take a load of efforts to prevent them from biting them.
Regardless, I would start by doing daily water changes, possibly adding aquarium salt to the new water as that may help in healing, or you can use almond leaves as well.
Here are 2 pics of the driftwood. I'm not sure what kind it is. I did sand the rough spots but I wonder if I missed anything.

Wystearya

It could also be slightly uneven fin growth. The fins look healthy, just a bit jagged. Definitely could also be torn. Big betta fins tear easily.

Did you try running some pantyhose over the wood? If it snags it can tear betta fins.

potter

Wystearya said:
It could also be slightly uneven fin growth. The fins look healthy, just a bit jagged. Definitely could also be torn. Big betta fins tear easily.

Did you try running some pantyhose over the wood? If it snags it can tear betta fins.
I did try running the pantyhose over the wood and sand anything that isn't smooth down but it is hard to get everything inside where my fingers can't reach. Can it be just a growth spurt? He was very small in size when I got him and is still somewhat small in size for a betta. Just puzzles me why it looks so jagged since I sanded his cave as well as the wood before I put it in.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom