Finnex ray 2 or other LED fixture?

1. shuwae Member Member

I have been researching a little more on a new light fixture and the Finnex Ray 2 seems to be the right one. As of right now, I am using a Aquatic Life T5HO on my 40 breeder and it is slowly growing algae. A lot of threads I looked at had the fixture for growing plants but the tank I want the new fixture on will only have rocks and driftwood. I just need more algae to grow for my loaches.

Will the Ray 2 grow more ans faster algae compare to my current Aquatic Life? I dose 5ml of NPK twice a week, with at least 10 hours of light, to help but I am barely seeing any algae. Would the Ray 2 be enough or is there another LED fixture I have not looked at? What do you think of how it is made? Does it feel or look "cheaply" made? I am not looking to use over $150 as I still have other equipment to upgrade. I rather just use one fixture on this tank as I do not want it to heat up my "temperate" tank.

2. renthus Well Known Member Member

Loaches don't eat algae, that's plecos and otos (primarily). I really feel like you're going about this wrong, lol. Striving for *more* algae, and dosing ferts to try and encourage it just seems like there's a fundamental misunderstanding somewhere.

3. shuwae Member Member

Uh, hillstream loaches like sewellia and gastromyzons eat micro-organisms on the algae which is why I am trying to grow more. They will not survive long in a clean (no algae) tank. Of course, they will not get rid of the algae as they are not true algae eaters.

4. cichlidman Well Known Member Member

ray 2s are awesome . I have one on a 29 gallon and it carpets hair grass and grows anything else i put under it

5. renthus Well Known Member Member

Oh, in that case, just stop dosing ferts and turn off any co2 you have, then put your tank near a window. You'll have a ton of algae in a matter of hours.

6. shuwae Member Member

I have no CO2. Just dosing NPK, no micro. The tank is already next to a window so I do not think that will work.

Does it look "cheaply" built to you? Just curious as I do not want to get it if it will break apart easily.

7. renthus Well Known Member Member

Allow me to say that I'm incredibly jealous of your problems.

8. cichlidman Well Known Member Member

the brackets that go on the side of the tank are plastic but the fixture itself feels solid. it has clamps that keep it from moving. Well worth the price that you pay. I plan on moving all my lights to ray2 at some point when bulbs need replacing

9. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Finnex lights are well made. They have an aluminum body, plastic splash guard, twist on connectors, rubber shielded light switches and a box type power transformer.