Finishing Stocking of 29 Gallon

1. lol Member Member

So I have a 29 gallon tank currently which houses a Labidochromis caeruleus (Nkali, about 3.5 inches) cichlid of unknown gender, a Melanotaenia parkinsoni rainbowfish (also around 3-3.5"), and a lone 2" giant danio. Me being new to fishkeeping and basically impulse-buying fish, I've gone through a fair share of fish deaths... So I'm going to ask my questions here to try to avoid more of that.

Anyway, the tank has been running for probably a year or so. I've been thinking of adding new fish into the tank, but I'm not sure what to add. Has all artificial plants if it means anything, and water changes are done weekly. I'm less concerned of water parameters going out of whack as I am about the fish being compatible. I know that I should probably turn it into a school of giant danios, but what about the rainbowfish? The cichlid minds his (or her) own business, and the rainbowfish sometimes swims with the danio, but at other times chases him around.

If I were to add new giant danios, should I still be concerned about the rainbowfish harassing them? They'll be pretty small when I get them so I don't want the rainbowfish stressing or killing any, or continuing to chase them. That being said, should I be getting more rainbowfish? Can't find parkinsoni rainbows at my preferred LFS, but they have other types of rainbowfish. I'm basically looking to see what kind of advice I can get from you guys. Thanks.

2. lol Member Member

New Stocking

Right before making this thread I made one about my existing 29 gallon tank. But this time I'm talking about a new 29 gallon that I may or may not purchase in the future. I've been trying to find exactly which fish I'd like to keep in it, and I've compiled a list of the fish that would probably end up being in the tank. I don't even know where the tank will go, and I haven't purchased it, so nothing is set in stone. Here's my potential fish (wish?) list:
    -10 rummynose tetras
    -4 Sterbai cories
    -3 oto catfish
    -1 gold ram cichlid (possibly depending on price)
    Would this setup likely work, or no? My LFS doesn't have Bolivian rams which I was thinking of, but they do have GBR and gold rams. I'm trying to learn more about fishkeeping since I'm still very new to it, and I'm a bit concerned about everything people say about the difficulty of keeping GBRs alive. Would it be the same for gold rams, and is this just based on sensitivity to water parameters, or is there more to it (e.g. genes, disease)? Should I avoid rams altogether? I don't want gouramis or anything, so I figured a ram would go well in this tank. Should I be worried about it harassing the cories, with them both occupying the bottom areas?

If anything goes wrong in my existing 29-gallon, I would hope that I could safely move any fish that were the target of my rainbow's aggression to the new 29-gallon, so I don't want to be right on the edge of overstocking. Any advice?

3. Graphix Well Known Member Member

That cichlid you have unfortunately won't do well in your tank, not only is a 29 gallon too small to house them, but they are also much happier with large groups of cichlids, which you also cannot do in your tank. I suggest rehoming it or upgrading you aquarium.

As for the Danios, you're right in needing more of them to form a school. I'm not sure what to do about the rainbowfish as I'm not familiar with them, but having more danios would be beneficial as the rainbowfish's aggression wouldn't all be focused on a single one.

A simple google search on each of the species you own/plan to own will yield you results on their care, minimum tank size, compatibility.

So I'd say rehome the cichlid, get more Danios to make a nice group, and do some google searching to decide what you want to add in the future.

If you liked the look of that cichlid you currently have, I suggest any dwarf cichlids, such as apistogrammas or german blue rams, maybe even angelfish.

4. lol Member Member

Thanks for the help, I got that cichlid in the time period where I had very little idea of what I was doing in terms of fish compatibility. I'll definitely get more danios and think about the future of my cichlid. I don't know where I'd put a larger aquarium, but I was thinking of purchasing another. I'd love to have an all-cichlid tank but I don't think I'm really ready for that :p

5. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

You will need more otos and cories. i would remove the gold ram and add more otos ad cories.

6. lol Member Member

Ram was just sort of a thing that I thought might be nice. I'd gladly add more of those :)

7. Graphix Well Known Member Member

Cichlids are definitely my favourite type of fish, simply so full of personality. You don't have any local fish stores that would take your cichlid? There is also the option of local classifieds, there must be people in your area who would gladly take your fish off your hands, and you could reinvest that money into working with the tank you have to its full potential.

A yellow lab in your tank I'm sure looks great, which is why I'm sure he might be hard to let go, but it doesn't come close to cichlids that are thriving. A pair of rams, or Apistos, would be far more rewarding. As for an all cichlid tank, it may not be as far off as you think. Though I would suggest Tanganyikan cichlids, they would fit your tank size perfectly.

8. lol Member Member

I haven't mentioned bringing the cichlid to a LFS because his tail is injured from another cichlid that I had in the tank (which I had to take back as a result) :( He swims around fine and everything but I'm not sure how they'd feel about taking a fish like that, seeing as his tail droops down like he can't even move it. Poor guy. I guess it's a learning experience. (I'm a terrible fishkeeper.)

9. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I would not do otos, as they need cooler temps than sterbai cories.

Up the group of sterbai cories to 8. A gold ram would be fine.

10. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member