Finishing Stock Advice On 20g Long

1. r

rhone New Member Member

New here, but glad to read much in recent weeks. I have read many threads on stocking, so I have a basic plan, but thought I'd ask on finishing thoughts, particularly for my needs.

I have a 20g long. I'm mostly interested in hearty and long-lived. In fact, I purposefully want to stay below stocking recommendations to make it lower maintenance. Let me say that again....I'm cool not putting more fish in my tank and prefer to stay below stocking recommendations....

Right now I have 7 Zebra Danios (6 reg and 1 longfinned. Love the longfinned, but Pet Supermarket where I'm at sells only the regs, but for $0.69 each, and Petco sells both for almost $3 each, so, regular zebras it is!).

I also have a "black mystery snail". I see those only live for a year or so, so I won't replace it when it's gone. Or, maybe I could just add 4-5 and have that be a fluid part of stocking?

My tank equipment: 20G Long; Marineland basic cover with LED light; I have 2 plants, one is an anubia on driftwood near center, and the other is cardinal plant (Lobelia Cardinalis) directly under the light; heater (tank at 76, but largely because that's the room temp); air stone; and 350 gph filter (marineland biowheel penguin 350), as I believe strongly in overfiltration, so whatever I add needs to be ok with a relatively flowing tank that comes from that.

I'm thinking this:

-add a few more zebra danios to get up to 10+ total (maybe up to 12)
    -1 dwarf gourami (like the "flame" version)

When the snail dies, add a small crawfish?
    Or, are there other bottom oriented fish I should consider in lieu of adding the dwarf gourami? (i.e., a type of cory that's good in a set of 2-3 max)?

In light of the significant filtering, other ideas? The zebra danios are totally ok with the fast flow of the tank. Just want to make sure whatever I add will be compatible too.

Thanks!

2. Katie13

Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

What about a Bolivian Ram or two?

3. Kenny777

Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

How about this stock
    10 Zebra Danios
    1 Honey Gourami
    8 Panda Cories
    10 Red Cherry Shrimp
    I think this stock would work. Any members will correct me if I'm wrong.

4. Philosoraptor

Philosoraptor New Member Member

Most Corydoras prefer to be in a school of at least six, though you could go with C. habrosus or C. pygmaeus. Both types are very small and super cute! Or yeah you could go with a Ram Cichlid, those are really cool. If you haven't kept Dwarf Cichlids before, go with the Bolivian as they are easier to keep.

5. OP
    OP
    r

rhone New Member Member

Thanks for the quick advice. I get the schooling preference; at the same time, wouldn't a couple be fine (cory)? Like the Ram idea. so if I'm reading that right, don't have to worry about the aggressiveness one would normally associate with cichlids? For the person who recommended 8 additional panda cories and red cherry shrimp, wouldn't this put me close to recommended stocking limits? I like the ideas, but want to make sure I'm staying very conservative. Thanks all!

Thanks, that specificity (Bolivians easier to keep) is very helpful for what I'm aiming for right now.

6. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

They may act fine but it is not a good idea at all, they will display much better behavior in a group of at least 6. THey wouldn't be happy in less.

No, it wouldn't put you close to the limit in stocking.