Finished Cycle! What Now? Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Caffee, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Caffee

CaffeeValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +38
    Experience:
    Just started
    after a long, grueling, 39 days; my cycle for my 5 gallon shrimp tank is complete. I tested my water this morning and my nitrites, nitrates, and my ammonia are all at 0ppm. Now what? Should i dose ammonia again and keep an eye on it for a few days to make sure everything is able to cycle okay then do a 100% water change? Or do you think im good to add my shrimp?

2. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,071
    Experience:
    2 years
    If your not showing any nitrates you aren’t completely cycled. The readings should show 0 ammonia and nitrites and trace levels of nitrates 5-20 or so... I would give the tank a little more time to mature before adding shrimp that way they will have some biofilm and algae to eat. Also if your getting into the shrimp world it will be necessary to know your GH-KH readings as well. Good luck!

3. jdhef

jdhefModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +3,199
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I think you are good to add the shrimp now. But if you are not adding them today, I would add ammonia to keep the cycle fed.

4. jdhef

jdhefModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +3,199
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    EDIT to add:
    I disagree with the above. If you had an ammonia spike and a nitrite spike and are now reading 0ppm for both ammonia and nitrites you are cycled.

5. Donthemon

DonthemonWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +434
    Experience:
    4 years
    Where did the nitrates go then? Unless you just did a massive water change should show some.