Finish Touches On 20 Gallon High Stocking?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Fishem02, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Fishem02

Fishem02 Valued Member Member

So right now my tanks stocking consists of
    8 gold cloud minnows
    5 emerald eye rasbora
    2 kuhli loaches..

I want to add a honey gourami and 4 more kuhli loaches to finish my stocking.
    My parameters are 0-0-30 the tank has been running for about a year, it is also extremely heavily planted.. with plants that also go out of the water to subdue light for the gourami.
    I do weekly water changes and keep the temperature at 74F
    And I do know about the temperature difference for the gold cloud minnows

2. Demeter

Demeter Fishlore VIP Member

you can add a trio or maybe even 5 of the dwarf honey gourami as they actually get along with their own kind. I'd wait to hear a second opinion on that though, i've never actually owned a DHG. Definitely get more loaches, they will be much happier.

3. Gabrielle BK

Gabrielle BK Valued Member Member

I would agree with Demeter. Definitely up the dwarf gourami to at least a pair if not more. I do agree with adding more kuhli loaches however am scared your tank MIGHT be close to your stocking limit. Can someone confirm this?? I'm not great at knowing when a tank is overstocked, so if anyone with a bit more experience could cut i that'd be great!!!

Hope this helps!

4. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

I would add 4 more kuhlis, 1 or 2 more emerald eye rasboras and maybe 1 honey gourami

5. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylah Well Known Member Member

I think you are already near or already at your stocking limit. Perhaps one honey gourami would be okay.

6. happygolucky

happygolucky Well Known Member Member

My honey gourami was a jerk till the day he died, so it really is hit-or-miss. I would only go with one, since your tank will be pretty much full with the extra loaches.

7. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

If you add the extra loaches and 1 honey gourami you are really full. What filter are you runnig?

8. OP
    OP
    Fishem02

Running a tetra EX45 whisper, has quite the power :p

I would add another Emerald eye, but it's really hard to get them where I am.
    last time i ordered them it took 2 months!

I was also considering getting a pair on DHG, but i don't want to overstock.. I do a lot of water changes already lol..

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  9. BottomDweller

I would just stick to one honey gourami. They are fine alone and your pretty well stocked already

10. OP
    OP
    Fishem02

Also add the 4 kuhli loaches? Not a big fan of only 2, since they should have at least 6

11. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I would up each group to 8.

12. OP
    OP
    Fishem02

Would that overstock my tank if I also added a honey gourami?
    16 fish and *8 kuhlis that have the bioload of 1/2 fish*

And a honey gourami, which I'm not sure about the bioload. Is quite active..

What do you think @Anders247 @BottomDweller

13. BottomDweller

I think you could up all your current schools to 8 and add a single honey gourami. A honey gourami doesn't have a large bioload.

14. Anders247

I agree with BD.

15. OP
    OP
    Fishem02

Thanks guys!

16. Anders247

No problem!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice