Finish the cycle with snails?

hcroark

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Unintentionally I have introduced pond snails to my 46 gallon while still cycling. I'm ALMOST through with the cycle. Ammonia-0, Nitrite-5ish, Nitrate- Up there (haven't tested these in a few days). I know that with a fishless cycle ammonia has to be added to the tank every so often to keep the bacteria fed so that's what I've been doing. Well, I now have 11+ (probably more) snails. So should I just discontinue adding ammonia? Shouldn't they finish up the cycle for me?

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You could give it a try but I don't know if there's enough of a bioload to keep it going, especially for a 46 gallon.
How long have you been in to this cycle?

hcroark

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Since August 21 :-/

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well it sounds like you're close - you could try it and test every day to check the levels to make sure the ammonia is still present and converting......

Good luck with that!!!

hcroark

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I may just keep adding a small amount of ammonia then. I'd sure hate to mess up my cycle this far into it!

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That's amazing your pond snails are still alive!!! I guess it is true - they live through almost anything!

hcroark

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I know! I keep thinking these are some hardy boogers. I added the drift wood that they came in on when there was still ammonia in the tank!! And I've had off the chart nitrites. The nitrites are coming down now so they lived through the entire spike. They are thriving and growing. Some are almost pencil eraer sized. I'm not even feeding them. I guess they are living off the diatom in there.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads