Finish Stocking.

Sebastian Perdomo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
So my 55 cracked, and I got a 90. I have much more swimming space now, and a much more efficient sump.
I currently have:
2 Clowns
3 Blue/Green Chromis
They are small compared to what they will be when they are adults.
What should I get to complete my stocking? I want it to be reef safe and pretty. Also a fish I won’t have to eventually sell because it’s too big.
I was thinking a Yellow Tang, not sure if it is big enough through. Any Tang besides a Tomini tang I would take into consideration. Just give me ideas please and thanks.

Lorekeeper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Well, first off, I'd like to mention that chromis can be extremely aggressive towards eachother at maturity. Even though they're often sold as schooling fish, and will school when younger, it's pretty often to see one fish kill 4-5 other chromis. You might be prepared for that, but if not, you've been warned.

A yellow tang would do fine in a standard 90, but I think that's the only tang I'd add into the tank. That should provide enough open swimming-space and biological filtration to keep the yellow tang happy and healthy. A kole tang is another viable option.

As for other stocking, I'd personally do some brighter, small fish to mix in with your current stock. This is the stock I'd consider

Royal Gramma
Firefish (skittish)
Six-Line Wrasse
Damsels (you probably know the dangers of these guys, but they're incredibly colorful)

There are tons of species of fish out there, and these are just what I'd want to keep.

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Sebastian Perdomo said:
So my 55 cracked, and I got a 90. I have much more swimming space now, and a much more efficient sump.
I currently have:
2 Clowns
3 Blue/Green Chromis
They are small compared to what they will be when they are adults.
What should I get to complete my stocking? I want it to be reef safe and pretty. Also a fish I won’t have to eventually sell because it’s too big.
I was thinking a Yellow Tang, not sure if it is big enough through. Any Tang besides a Tomini tang I would take into consideration. Just give me ideas please and thanks.
As someone who upgraded to a 90 a few months back, it sounds like you and I are on the same track. Here is what I would say:

Skip the Chromis. Many people have had them only to have them pick each other off and there seems to be a higher prevalence of them shipping with disease these days. A Royal Gramma is a good suggestion although they vary in temperament from a fish that spends most of it's time hiding to a fish that is fiercely territorial. 6 line wrasses are beautiful but I have seen way too many horror stories on them to attempt one (Plenty of people with 100 plus gallon tanks that have been at wits end trying to catch this little devil that starts a fish killing spree). Damsels can be jerks as well, so I avoid them. As for the Yellow Tang, it is a bit of a stretch but they can work in a 90 provided it is your only tang (I will actually be adding one in a few weeks to my 90, it is currently in QT). You can look at other tangs of the Bristletooth variety (ie Kole, Two Spot, Squaretail, Tomini or the pricey White Tail Bristletooth) but none of the ones that would be a good fit for your tank will bring the flash of color to your tank that the Yellow will. Not sure if you have a bunch of corals or what your setup is but you could also look into a Dwarf Angel. They can be semi-aggressive (as can Tangs) and possibly coral nippers but there are some that people seem to have better luck with. The Coral Beauty Dwarf Angel is arguably the best all around one for hardiness, color, cost, durability and reports of the fish behaving itself. I will also be adding one to my tank in a few weeks. Here is a vid of them in QT (sorry but the vid doesn't do the coral beauty's colors justice):

Sebastian Perdomo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Jesterrace said:
As someone who upgraded to a 90 a few months back, it sounds like you and I are on the same track. Here is what I would say:

Skip the Chromis. Many people have had them only to have them pick each other off and there seems to be a higher prevalence of them shipping with disease these days. A Royal Gramma is a good suggestion although they vary in temperament from a fish that spends most of it's time hiding to a fish that is fiercely territorial. 6 line wrasses are beautiful but I have seen way too many horror stories on them to attempt one (Plenty of people with 100 plus gallon tanks that have been at wits end trying to catch this little devil that starts a fish killing spree). Damsels can be jerks as well, so I avoid them. As for the Yellow Tang, it is a bit of a stretch but they can work in a 90 provided it is your only tang (I will actually be adding one in a few weeks to my 90, it is currently in QT). You can look at other tangs of the Bristletooth variety (ie Kole, Two Spot, Squaretail, Tomini or the pricey White Tail Bristletooth) but none of the ones that would be a good fit for your tank will bring the flash of color to your tank that the Yellow will. Not sure if you have a bunch of corals or what your setup is but you could also look into a Dwarf Angel. They can be semi-aggressive (as can Tangs) and possibly coral nippers but there are some that people seem to have better luck with. The Coral Beauty Dwarf Angel is arguably the best all around one for hardiness, color, cost, durability and reports of the fish behaving itself. I will also be adding one to my tank in a few weeks. Here is a vid of them in QT (sorry but the vid doesn't do the coral beauty's colors justice):

I’ve had the chromis for a couple months now and they have all been getting along fine.

Lorekeeper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Sebastian Perdomo said:
I’ve had the chromis for a couple months now and they have all been getting along fine.
Chances are you got them pretty young, and they aren't completely mature yet. When they reach maturity, they will almost always turn on eachother.

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Agreed. Some people do have luck with keeping them long term but many give up in frustration. Either way plenty of other fish that are less hassle in the long run.

HarryPotter

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
More than one tang is extremely pushing it in a 90. Read about the size they get to..... cmon.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom