Fingers Crossed our ADF doesn't get sick!

Discussion in 'Amphibians' started by Katy82, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Katy82Well Known MemberMember

I just had to destress a little!

Went into the LFS today for a few supplies. I did the rounds of the tanks just to look as per usual (how can you not!). I noticed that the tank of ADF's that we had gotten Spotty (named by our 4 year old :) ) from was under quarantine and there were no frogs left in it. It was filled with frogs when we purchased Spotty on Dec 26th. I asked one of the employees what happened. He tells me that most of the frogs just "dropped dead overnight!" :eek: and that it "was some sort of fungus" So the rest are in quarintine being treated right now.

Now I am completed paranoid that our little Spotty is sick and not going to make it. It was hard enough to calm down our son down in the car ride home after hearing that all the frogs just dropped dead. Grrrr Wish the employee could have worded it a little more nicely considering the child listening!! I can't imagine what he is going to be like if our own frog passes.

Luckily the little frogger has a very good appetite and has been active. Fingers crossed he stays well.

2. frogbreederWell Known MemberMember

Hi Katy,

I sure hope Spotty will be alright. That he is active and has a very good appetite is very encouraging. I'm keeping my flippers, fingers, and toes crossed for him. Good luck. - frogbreeder

3. Katy82Well Known MemberMember

Thanks frogbreeder.
    He is still looking very good, I swear he has doubled in size since we got him almost 2 weeks ago. I've been feeding him with tongs and he comes flying at them whenever he sees them now. We were thinking of getting another after the tank settled a little but I'm not so sure anymore. Definitely wouldn't purchase from the store we originally bought him from and the Pet Smart frogs just don't look that great. I'm just so paranoid he is going to get the fungus (drawing a blank on the name now :) )

4. LucyModeratorModerator Member

I'm so happy to hear that your frog is doing well.
    He sounds adorable!

How heartbreaking to hear about the frogs in the store.

By any chance did they call it Chytrid (short for Chytridiomycosis)

There is an attachment in this sticky:
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/amphibians/25348-chytrid-fungus-adfs-acfs.html

Some adf owners have had luck with it.
    Some also do this as a precaution when getting new frogs.

5. Katy82Well Known MemberMember

The employee didn't know. But I would assume based on the number of frogs he said died abd what ive read online that it probably was. That is why I am so paranoid about our little spotty.

6. LucyModeratorModerator Member

:) Have hope.
    The only 100% sure way of telling that's what they had would be lab tests.

Spotty sounds like he's doing really well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice