Fine sponge or filter floss for shrimp tank filter

michaelsf90

I have a fluval U2 setup in what is going to be my shrimp and snail tank. At the minute it has coarse sponge and then carbon and then the biomax that comes with the filter. So I'm going to chuck the carbon away and replace. But should I use fine sponge or filter floss. In my main tank I have a U3 and that's coarse sponge then fine sponge

Also to shrimp proof the tank I plan on putting sponge over the intake vents on the filter and elastic banding them on. Should I use fine sponge or medium or coarse. I don't want to affect filter flow too much but also to protect the shrimp

ProudPapa

For the second part of your question, I'd definitely suggest staying away from the coarse sponge on the intake. I've used coarse, and it's difficult to clean them without killing shrimp. They will get inside.

michaelsf90

My concern with having fine sponge on the outside is it'll end up being part of the filtration system and will end up with beneficial bacteria on it

StarGirl

My concern with having fine sponge on the outside is it'll end up being part of the filtration system and will end up with beneficial bacteria on it
And that's......bad?

carsonsgjs

Having used both of those filters, they probably aren’t the most shrimp-safe to begin with. Maybe consider using a sponge filter or HOB (with the intake covered with a prefilter) instead? I can’t help but think that adding on that much additional sponge over the intake vents on the outside of the filter will affect the flow. It would basically mean the sponge inside the filter being redundant as all the filtration will be done by the sponge on the outside.

ProudPapa

I agree with StarGirl. Why is that a concern? Most people want more places for the beneficial bacteria to colonize.

Plus, if it's more spread out you're less likely to have a problem when you clean.

michaelsf90

I have a small sponge filter in the small shrimp tank I have now and it's a pain. I've used tights on the outside. That was a pain. I've crammed sponge inside. That was a pain. The U2 is a good internal filter for its size and for an internal and its very easy to maintain. I'd just elastic band sponge over the whole sides. Shrimp like not a massive amount of flow. Its a 60 litre so the filter I'd say is more than capable at a reduced flow as well. So should I use fine sponge inside the filter instead of carbon and add some more to the outside to protect the shrimplets? Well when I get shrimplets

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
AcuarioAmazonico
Replies
Views
Dexter84
Replies
Views
BettaLover89
Replies
Views