Finding the right plants in one place!

1. DanB80TTS

DanB80TTS Well Known Member Member

I am having a hard time finding somewhere to buy plants from online, I want to get everything in one order to combine shipping but I cannot find all that I want in the same place for a decent cost.

Any suggestions on sites? I've looked at peabodyparadise already, they had most of what I wanted but their wisteria is emersed, which I don't want.

The main ones I'm struggling to find is Anubias nana and water wisteria, if someone has one they don't have the other.

2. Bluestreakfl

Bluestreakfl Well Known Member Member

Emersed just means its grown above water prior to sale. When you convert it to submerged, it will regrow new aquatic leaves is all.

3. OP
    OP
    DanB80TTS

The difference in wisteria is so dramatic I wasn't sure if it changes or not and how long it takes?

4. Bluestreakfl

Any plant that can be grown both submerged or emersed, can transition to one or the other. Anytime plants are transferred to new water parameters, not just submerged vs emersed you still may get some die off and then regrowth. Being that water wisteria is a fast grower, I dont think it would take to long to convert. Dolfan or jetajockey might be able to give you an idea how long it will take to convert.

5. OP
    OP
    DanB80TTS

I've shot Dolfan a message to see what plants he has left, his prices seem almost unbeatable after searching around.

6. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

I really love this Planted Aquariums Central. She sends really well packed, beautiful plants. I have bought the majority of my plants from their along with some from Petsmart etc.

7. Bluestreakfl

Petsmart is good for those tissue cultured plant packs. No snails, and lots of "nodes" I guess you could say, the plants are usually small but you get alot of them. Good for planting big tanks.

8. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Those two plants can be found at Petsmart. Bought a couple there myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

9. M

MtnTiger Well Known Member Member

DFS has some great plants and there are several on Amazon that offer very good deals.

10. Dadio

Dadio Well Known Member Member

I have bought a lot of these   and have found them to be both pricy and high quality. I would buy from the plant god Dolfan but he doesn't ship to Canada :(

11. OP
    OP
    DanB80TTS

Found some good looking places online but then they wanted $40+ to ship! That would be reasonable if you are planting a bit take and spending $100+ on plants but when your only looking and $20-30 it's not happening. I'm in talks with Dolfan, I will just have to hit up petsmart I think for Anubias. Petco fails to label the exact plant and just calls them assorted Anubias, their submerged plants looked pretty pitiful this week.

12. Dadio

Dadio Well Known Member Member

I found this here in Canada and ships to the US from what I can see. Has better prices then any of the LFS around here and with the US$ whopping ours it may give you an advantage as well.   He sells tropica 3 to 4 $ less then what I've seen at the local LFS's

13. Dom90

Plants can get real expensive so what I did was, searched "aquarium plants" on craigslist. I have found two separate guys that sell them there. I usually get 20-30 stems/trimmings for $20. Most of the time I get what I need and then some. Spent a total of $40 for all the plants in my 75.

14. OP
    OP
    DanB80TTS

I never find anything on my Craigslist, I check every few days. Only living aquatic I found was somebody who sells Angels. Other than that it's just a million people trying to sell 55gallon tanks lol.

15. Dom90

Lol I can kind of see why... The "grass is cleaner on the other side" idea... It's just not enough footprint as a 75, but it also doesn't cost as much. Even the 40B has a bigger footprint.

16. OP
    OP
    DanB80TTS

I always thought a 55 sounded cool, but then I saw one at petco and I think they are only 12inches deep? When I make a step up from the 29g (and by step up I mean just add another to the collection not replace lol) I intend to go at least 75 but more hoping to go 100+ if I can get a house with a basement.

17. Dom90

I just figured out why your Craigslist is saturated with 55g tanks, after just returning from Petco. The 40 Breeder regular price is $120, which you can get for $40 with this sale. So I'm guessing the 55g regular price is somewhere around $180 or so. These people buy for $55 and try to sell on CL for profit! But then the market gets saturated and nobody makes money...

18. OP
    OP
    DanB80TTS

Yh I have to cover my eyes and walk past the tanks section with the $1/gallon sale lol

19. Joshua Drake

Joshua Drake Well Known Member Member

Around here, fish tanks just don't seem to sell unless it's a dollar a gallon or has a stand and is still at a good price. I'm judging this by watching the same tanks getting posted for prices that just aren't moving. Even tanks worth the price barely move. The 125 setup I'm trying to get is only 325 for the tank and stand, I'd snag it if I could just find a truck...

20. Bluestreakfl

Tell em $300 cash, use the other $25 for a one day u-haul van. They have in town only specials starting at like $20 plus the gas you use.