Finding The Perfect Balance In A Planted Tank

andrearamirezo91

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hey guys!

I have a 6G planted that I'm setting up at the moment and as I try to figure out what I should do regarding light, filtration, fertilizers, CO2, etc I realize that I might run into some difficulties along the way before finding the perfect balance.

My question is.. When things are going wrong, how do you know what changes need to be made in order to get closer to that perfect balance?

!poogs!

Valued Member
Reaction score
I think the answer to your question comes down to one word: experience.

We've all made mistakes. We've all had to fix them.

Some of the basics are:

Keep it simple.

Smaller tanks fluctuate more than larger tanks and can be more work to keep stable.

Make sure the filter is large enough to circulate the volume of your tank at least 5 times in hour.

Everything else is experience, talking to others and research.

andrearamirezo91

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hi thank you so much for your reply!

The fact that its a 6G has me a little nervous exactly because of that. I don't know if a 13W is too much light for a tank my size especially considering that I wont be injecting any CO2. I will be dosing with excel however.

I guess I just gotta sit back and wait to see what happens with my current setup and then take it from there!

aniroc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Here is my 2 cents: what something is wrong and I don't know what to do, I do a water change! In this way, I reset everything and I buy more time to think about....

ShamFish97

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
andrearamirezo91 said:

The fact that its a 6G has me a little nervous exactly because of that. I don't know if a 13W is too much light for a tank my size especially considering that I wont be injecting any CO2. I will be dosing with excel however.

I guess I just gotta sit back and wait to see what happens with my current setup and then take it from there!
2-5Watts per Gallon in a planted tank is the general rule.

!poogs!

Valued Member
Reaction score
ShamFish97 said:
2-5Watts per Gallon in a planted tank is the general rule.
Not always the case. Dependant on source. Led, cfl, incandescent. Lots of planted guys using different source lights, so watts per gallon is not always the best tool.

Consider lumens, lux, colour temp, and light spectrum, when sourcing a light that works for your planted project.

!poogs!

Valued Member
Reaction score
andrearamirezo91 said:

If it was me I would research what guys are doing for planted nano tank lighting. Nano tanks are not my thing, but I’m sure guys in this forum can help you with suggestions.

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
andrearamirezo91 said:
Hey guys!

I have a 6G planted that I'm setting up at the moment and as I try to figure out what I should do regarding light, filtration, fertilizers, CO2, etc I realize that I might run into some difficulties along the way before finding the perfect balance.

My question is.. When things are going wrong, how do you know what changes need to be made in order to get closer to that perfect balance?
When something goes wrong, look at the plants. There's a great chart on Google images by aqua... aquathusiast? It's my go to when something isn't perfect on my plants.

Next issue is algae. If you aren't dosing co2 and it isn't diatoms, it's likely too much light, or not enough phosphates.

Aside from that, it usually is pretty simple and easy.

ShamFish97

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
!poogs! said:
Not always the case. Dependant on source. Led, cfl, incandescent. Lots of planted guys using different source lights, so watts per gallon is not always the best tool.

Consider lumens, lux, colour temp, and light spectrum, when sourcing a light that works for your planted project.
you are absolutely right, I didn’t even consider that.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom