Finding my own driftwood?

mmercier

HI there! I was wondering if it if possible to use wood that I found on a beach for my aquarium. Buying driftwood is a little expensive so I don’t want to do that as my first option if I can help it. Is it hard to get wood you find on your own aquarium safe or even possible for that matter. Let me know, thanks so much!

juniperlea

I've read that if the wood has been in the water for a long time....... e.g. driftwood found on the beach, it is considered safe.

goldface

My plecos appreciate gnawing on new wood. I usually like to find them at a river when the water has receded. I usually give it a rinse with a hose and that's it. At most, I'll let it dry out in the sun, but I like to have all the algae and biofilm intact.

AlexTherriault

So I had the same question about a month ago, and I did a good amount of research. I would say it depends on what kind of wood is around! If it is a lake surrounded by softwood (such as pine) don't use it. Soft wood often contains resin which can be hard on the fish but hardwood is good! I grabbed some drift wood which was so weathered I could not tell what kind it was, so I boiled the heck outta it and it's been excellent. Your water may get brown and murky for a bit. That's not bad for the fish though! This is called tannis (do some googling) but tanis can be good for fish. If the water gets to brown just start doing more water changes and it will eventually stop leaching as much.

Good luck!

fishkeeper19524

As long as you boil it properly it should be fine, I have a few pieces of drift wood and rooks in my aquarium that I found on the beach and they work great.

mmercier

So I had the same question about a month ago, and I did a good amount of research. I would say it depends on what kind of wood is around! If it is a lake surrounded by softwood (such as pine) don't use it. Soft wood often contains resin which can be hard on the fish but hardwood is good! I grabbed some drift wood which was so weathered I could not tell what kind it was, so I boiled the heck outta it and it's been excellent. Your water may get brown and murky for a bit. That's not bad for the fish though! This is called tannis (do some googling) but tanis can be good for fish. If the water gets to brown just start doing more water changes and it will eventually stop leaching as much.

Good luck!

Super helpful! Thanks so much!

mmercier

Thanks for the help guys

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Utar
Replies
Views
Coptapia
Replies