Finding my angel a mate?

bmuckluck

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I have a question about Angelfish pairing up! I have kept a single angelfish in a 20 high for two years now. I am now finally planning my upgrade to a bigger tank (probably 50 or 55) and had a question about getting another angelfish.

I don't want a large group of angels as I cannot upgrade larger from the 50 in the forseeable future & I have plans for other fish I would like to keep in the tank as well so room is limited. My ideal situation would be to get a suitable mate for my angelfish so they could pair up and I would only have two angels in the tank.

My question is: If I identify the gender of my angel and get one of the opposite sex, are they likely to pair up or would I have a high chance of aggression? Do they need more than one mate to choose from?
Would a better plan be to select two or three more angels, wait to see if one pairs up with mine, and then rehome the rest? (I would rather not go this route as I have a hard time re-homing fish and would probably end up keeping them all).

Looking forward to hearing your advice/experiences!
Thanks in advance :)

jkkgron2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I actually had tried the same thing as you before, I got two angels in my 55 in hopes that they would pair up. Unfortunately I think I ended up with two males but if you can successfully ID the gender then I don’t see why you couldn’t do that. If you aren’t able to figure out whether one is a male or female it would probably be better to get three instead of two. But if you do get two then the problem is if you add a new angel since they didn’t pair up it may be seen as a threat.

I personally would just get three but two would work if you can
reliably ID there genders

OP
bmuckluck

bmuckluck

Reaction score
jkkgron2 said:
I actually had tried the same thing as you before, I got two angels in my 55 in hopes that they would pair up. Unfortunately I think I ended up with two males but if you can successfully ID the gender then I don’t see why you couldn’t do that. If you aren’t able to figure out whether one is a male or female it would probably be better to get three instead of two. But if you do get two then the problem is if you add a new angel since they didn’t pair up it may be seen as a threat.

I personally would just get three but two would work if you can
reliably ID there genders
Awesome to hear that you've tried this too! If I successfully got one pair I wouldn't be adding any more.. I just worry about having a male and a female and them not pairing up.

jkkgron2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
bmuckluck said:
Awesome to hear that you've tried this too! If I successfully got one pair I wouldn't be adding any more.. I just worry about having a male and a female and them not pairing up.
If they don’t pair up that should be ok. My males only have the occasional squabble over food and territory, unless one is constantly being terrorized or you notice frequent “lip-locking” I wouldn’t worry too much :)

OP
bmuckluck

bmuckluck

Reaction score
jkkgron2 said:
If they don’t pair up that should be ok. My males only have the occasional squabble over food and territory, unless one is constantly being terrorized or you notice frequent “lip-locking” I wouldn’t worry too much :)
Good to know! Thanks for your advice! Now on to the tricky part.. ID'ing my angel and ID'ing an opposite to purchase. I guess it would be fine to have the same gender if they aren't going to fight but the possibility of getting some fry would be exciting!

jkkgron2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
bmuckluck said:
Good to know! Thanks for your advice! Now on to the tricky part.. ID'ing my angel and ID'ing an opposite to purchase. I guess it would be fine to have the same gender if they aren't going to fight but the possibility of getting some fry would be exciting!
It’s very unlikely that they will fight but some people get unlucky and have a very dominant mean angelfish. If your looking to have a 100% chance of getting a pair then I would suggest asking around and seeing if anyone has a proven pair that you could buy :)

New Threads