Finding It Difficult To Control Algae Help | Page 2

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Bj259, Jun 8, 2019.

1. BillCNC

BillCNCValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +65
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Got me stumped. You should't be having algae or even live plant's unless you were dosing with fertilizer's and since you have fake plant's that can be ruled out.

Try hitting the Youtube videos on what is causing the issue because with that stocking your easily within limit's even with the 2 plecos.

I have a 29 gal. that has 8, 3" Cory's, 3 breeding pair's of Stripped Panchax and a breeding pair of Bristlenose in there and my No-3 is at 20PPM and I have a hard time with growing plant's in that tank let alone a speck of Algae.

One more question, ... How mamy watt's are your light's, how many K's and LED's or not?

Regards
    Bill

2. OP
    OP
    Bj259

Bj259New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +9
    Experience:
    1 year
    It does smell like dirt, the day after a water change the tank still looks clean so it starts to get bad on the second day after a clean. By day 3 it’s all over the gravel again.

3. OP
    OP
    Bj259

Bj259New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +9
    Experience:
    1 year
    It’s very frustrating because I have no idea why it’s happening!

The light is 16 watt LED.

Could it be possible that because I used to have plants that algae was still present when they were removed and has continued to grow and now has taken over?

4. angelcraze

angelcrazeWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,333
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Ok, just ruling out cyanobacteria. Typically it's blue green, but can be other colors. It's kind of gelatinous. But when you remove it from the tank there is a distinct spicy odor that almost burns your nose. Idk, hard to expain, but ites noticeable. It's good it's not cyano!

But yeah, I do 50-75% water changes in all my community tanks. I change 80-90% out of growout tanks because excess nutrients build up fast. Some floating plants like water lettuce or emersed plants growing out the tank would help suck up some leaving little for algae.

5. OP
    OP
    Bj259

Bj259New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +9
    Experience:
    1 year
    How often would you recommend doing 80-90% water change?

6. BillCNC

Ratings:
    +65
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    If your using Blue LED's, ... Find a way to turn them off, THEY DO grow Algae, just ask anyone that uses blue night lighting for their tank. 16w shouldn't be an issue, but then again I have one 10 gal. tank that has an 8w Current Satellite LED that does grow some Algae on the surface leaves of my Pennywort. It's not an issue as my Oto's climb right on it.

Perhaps a week long test of putting a piece of paper of notebook paper or two to defuse the light a little so it's not so strong is in order.

Regards
    Bill

7. BillCNC

Ratings:
    +65
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    The only good thing about Cyano is that once you smell the Cyano, ... You will never forget that smell, ... ever. You will be able to tell if it's starting and you can fend it off pretty easily at that point.

Regards
    Bill

8. BillCNC

Ratings:
    +65
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Just keep in mind, Doing anything over a 50 % water change get's risky. The more change, the more the risk.

The water chemistry might be to much of a change all at once. I have changed out 100% of water in a day, but it was through 3 water changes in 24 hours. One change about every 6 hour's. This gives them time to acclimate to the difference in PH, KH and GH. There are some fish that are sensitive enough and would croak on a 40% water change.

Regards
    Bill

9. angelcraze

Ratings:
    +2,333
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    That's not necessary unless you have a tank full of baby BN plecos. Just saying I'm not shy about changing water, and as much needs to be changed out in each situation. In yours, I would do at least 40%. 50% would not be harmful either.... ;)

10. OP
    OP
    Bj259

Bj259New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +9
    Experience:
    1 year
    How will my angelfish get on with the snails? I’ve heard they tend to nip or even eat snails

11. angelcraze

Ratings:
    +2,333
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    True. But if you're diligent about keeping a frequent water change schedule, with changing that much water, parameters should stay very close.

Every tank is different though. And if the tap params are different than the tank's, a large WC like I mentioned could be detrimental especially when first starting, it's true. But for the average tank without tannins/blackwater or coral substrate, it should stay constant enough. And 40%-50% is a good goal for you IMO. But I don't suggest anything I don't do! You could even do two 25-30% water changes a week.

I struggle to keep tannins in my 120g. But the only reason I do 75% weekly WCs is to keep nitrates at 10ppm. Just saying it really helps keep algae away in my tanks.

12. angelcraze

Ratings:
    +2,333
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    What type of snail? Do you have full grown angelfish?

13. Wraithen

WraithenFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +1,687
    Experience:
    3 years
    When I had an angel, it never bothered my nerites on the least. Stock wont solve your problem though.

14. OP
    OP
    Bj259

Bj259New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +9
    Experience:
    1 year
    I’ve had the angels for over 4 months and was thinking of Nerite Snails

15. Wraithen

WraithenFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +1,687
    Experience:
    3 years
    Let's figure out the nitrates first.

16. angelcraze

Ratings:
    +2,333
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    None of my angels ever bothered with nerites. The only time I saw them eating snails, it was ramshorn snails dropped in a tank with adult angels that never saw them before.

17. angelcraze

Ratings:
    +2,333
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    OP @Bj259 Did you shake nitrate bottle#2 for 30 sec before adding? And then shake the test tube for one minute?

It's important to shake well. The drops from bottle#2 should be crystallized or like little air bubbles. Then you wait 5 minutes and take your result because it could get darker with more time.

To take your result, natural lighting is best. But bright daylight bulbs work too, like in a bathroom or kitchen. Hold the test tube next to the nitrate color chart, but in the white section. Have the card in behind the light so the test solution is kind of lit up.

Pls try it a second time and let us know :)

Regardless, there are other "nutrients" besides nitrate that can encourage algae growth. Water changes are never a bad idea.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
  18. OP
    OP
    Bj259

Bj259New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +9
    Experience:
    1 year
    No3 is now at 25 after leaving it to develop for 5 mins.

19. angelcraze

Ratings:
    +2,333
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    That sounds more like it ;) It's still not that bad. But if your 20% WC was a couple days ago, I have a feeling without plants to consume nitrate, it would build up if you continued with 20% WCs. The large 80% WC flushed them down low like a reset.

Anyway, like I said, there's more than nitrate that causes algae. And my fish always seem to really appreciate all the fresh water.

But my advice is to diffuse the light as suggested earlier, get some water lettuce floating on top, start with 40% regular water changes or two 25% WCs a week (your preference).

Oh and one more option. A siesta or split photoperiod. It would still grow your water lettuce. Ex. Light on for 2-3 hours, off for two hours, on for 4 more.

Without plants, I would still split the photoperiod 3-2 or more-3. And I'd definitely add something to diffuse the light.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
  20. OP
    OP
    Bj259

Bj259New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +9
    Experience:
    1 year
    Thanks for your advice, I’ll start with the water changes and I’ll invest in some water lettuce