Finding Gerbils

Dch48
Personally, I don't like Hamsters (or any furry thing that doesn't have much of a tail), I much prefer Gerbils. Gerbils are nowhere to be found in my town and the closest and only breeder within 200 miles is over 40 miles away. I'm thinking about getting a pair from him and housing them in a 10 gallon or maybe one of those habitats that you can keep expanding. They would also get to be out and about sometimes in a closed room. He only gets $10 apiece for his Gerbils and he has a lot of different colors. Why are Gerbils so hard to find? The PetSmart here never carries them but they have mice, hamsters, guinea pigs, and even chinchillas. Why no Gerbils? I had a male Gerbil years ago that lived for 4 years in a 10 gallon tank. His favorite food was sunflower seeds. He got outside one day and I thought he was gone for good. Then 2 days later I noticed a small burrow hole next to the foundation of the house. I put some sunflower seeds near it and a trail leading away. Sure enough, George popped up and began munching away and it wasn't too hard to trap him under a box and bring him back in.

Fanatic
Hello!

Congratulations on the new gerbil friend! I was never a rodent lover myself, but I always look at them when I go to a pet store. Where are some pictures of this new guy? I would love to see!

Dch48
Hello!

Congratulations on the new gerbil friend! I was never a rodent lover myself, but I always look at them when I go to a pet store. Where are some pictures of this new guy? I would love to see!
If you read the post right, you'll see I don't have them yet

Fanatic
If you read the post right, you'll see I don't have them yet

Sorry, I read the post too excitedly and missed that part.

ValerieAdams
Personally, I don't like Hamsters (or any furry thing that doesn't have much of a tail), I much prefer Gerbils. Gerbils are nowhere to be found in my town and the closest and only breeder within 200 miles is over 40 miles away. I'm thinking about getting a pair from him and housing them in a 10 gallon or maybe one of those habitats that you can keep expanding. They would also get to be out and about sometimes in a closed room. He only gets $10 apiece for his Gerbils and he has a lot of different colors. Why are Gerbils so hard to find? The PetSmart here never carries them but they have mice, hamsters, guinea pigs, and even chinchillas. Why no Gerbils? I had a male Gerbil years ago that lived for 4 years in a 10 gallon tank. His favorite food was sunflower seeds. He got outside one day and I thought he was gone for good. Then 2 days later I noticed a small burrow hole next to the foundation of the house. I put some sunflower seeds near it and a trail leading away. Sure enough, George popped up and began munching away and it wasn't too hard to trap him under a box and bring him back in.
Gerbils used to be really popular around here, but now that you mentioned it, I haven't seen any recently in the pet shops either

Piaelliott
Did you try to see if any Humane Societies in your area have them? Occasionally they pop up because they breed quickly. You could also look on Petfinder or Craigslist, I find it strange that there are none to be found if you live in NY.

Dch48
Did you try to see if any Humane Societies in your area have them? Occasionally they pop up because they breed quickly. You could also look on Petfinder or Craigslist, I find it strange that there are none to be found if you live in NY.
Looked on both PetFinder and Craigslist. Nothing.

Redshark1
Gerbils are great. We had them at school in a large aquarium with material for them to dig tunnels in. The ones at school were so good I never felt the need to keep them myself.

I loved my own mice, hamster and guinea pigs though.

Dch48
I really don't understand the seeming disinterest in Gerbils. They are much easier to keep than Hamsters and don't foul their environment nearly as badly. They require very little water and therefore do not urinate nearly as much as other pet rodents. Hence, the almost complete lack of offensive odors.

Plus, at least to me, they are cuter and more personable than hamsters. I love the long furry tails with the tuft at the end.

ValerieAdams
I really don't understand the seeming disinterest in Gerbils. They are much easier to keep than Hamsters and don't foul their environment nearly as badly. They require very little water and therefore do not urinate nearly as much as other pet rodents. Hence, the almost complete lack of offensive odors.

Plus, at least to me, they are cuter and more personable than hamsters. I love the long furry tails with the tuft at the end.
I would guess that the tails are what steer people away from them. I know many people that are scared of mice and rats, so the tail is probably a similarity that they don't like.

midna
get some rats. they're really cool. but they also die too soon (as most rodents will).

Dch48
I don't like rats. They smell too much. It will be gerbils or nothing.

midna
went to petsmart today. here's a photo of a gerbil for you.

20180530_132237.jpg

Dch48
went to petsmart today. here's a photo of a gerbil for you.

View attachment 442929
Cute but the PetSmart here doesn't have any and when I asked if they ever do, they said no. There is a Petco on the other side of the lake but it would either require taking a ferry and still a 40 mile drive or driving 100 miles to go by bridge.

wodesorel
This may be a bit out there, but check with a local reptile group and see if anyone is selling them as snake food. My last four were babies bought by a friend to save them from that fate. They aren't as popular as pets anymore, but they are being bred for other purposes.

midna
i'm going to ny in 2 weeks, maybe I'll get one and drive it up to you he'll hang out with us at graceland before we get there.

I always see gerbils at the pet stores down here. I guess they just aren't as popular anymore up north?

aww, gerbils as snake food

Gypsy13

They don’t bite as much either. Just my experience.

Gypsy13
i'm going to ny in 2 weeks, maybe I'll get one and drive it up to you he'll hang out with us at graceland before we get there.

I always see gerbils at the pet stores down here. I guess they just aren't as popular anymore up north?

Why I don’t keep snakes. I’d be overrun with their food and they’d be starving.

Gypsy13
You’re having trouble finding gerbils (cute little rodent btw) and I’m having trouble finding quality fish. When Petco has their dollar/gallon sale here, folks are wanting cheap reptile cages. Sad.

Dch48

I'm way up north, 20 miles south of the Canadian border. You surely don't need to do that but thanks for the offer. I'm not even sure my housemate/landlady would want one in the house.

What I really want is a dog. My beloved Yellow Lab mix died from liver cancer over 2 years ago and I still miss the heck out of her. She was only 7 years old and we got her from a shelter when she was 5. My ladyfriend loved her too but when I bring up the subject of getting another dog she says her dog days may be over. There is a hole that really only a new dog would come near to filling.

midna
we're going to niagara falls and canada, so we will be up north, but maybe not that close? i'd definitely do it if I didn't have my dad with me. he isn't very agreeable.

i'm sorry about your dog just go get one and she'll fall in love with it

Redshark1
After our two cats died we did not feel that we wanted to replace them, but we have ended up with two strays several years apart which have adopted us and we are so happy this has happened.

With dogs I think that hole could only be so much bigger. I don't think cats can be as fulfilling as dogs but our cats fit our lifestyle and we love them as much as it is possible.

The photo of the gerbil is so cute. It brings back memories of school. Home was tough so school was my refuge. Happy times.

Lexi_forver100

Hey! I know this is really late, but I have 3 gerbils myself. It was a pain getting them, I feel you! If you are still want them here are my tips. They come seasonal in petsmart. I had to wait a couple months until they started showing up in stores. If your desperate you could switch to shipping them, but that's not very humane in my opinion.

goldface
Hey! I know this is really late, but I have 3 gerbils myself. It was a pain getting them, I feel you! If you are still want them here are my tips. They come seasonal in petsmart. I had to wait a couple months until they started showing up in stores. If your desperate you could switch to shipping them, but that's not very humane in my opinion.
They’re shipped regardless to Petsmart, so I don’t see why t’d be inhumane to have them ordered in.

Lexi_forver100
They’re shipped regardless to Petsmart, so I don’t see why t’d be inhumane to have them ordered in.

True I didn't think about that. It's still pretty sad though, many don't make it through the trip.

goldface
True I didn't think about that. It's still pretty sad though, many don't make it through the trip.
I’ve had various animals shipped from reptiles, birds, and fish. I’ve never had a dead animal arrive. Sure, it happens, but shipping live animals is generally quite reliable.

wodesorel
Mammals cannot be sent by normal mail or by package delivery services, it's illegal and flat out dangerous. Only cold-blooded animals and day-old chicks can be mailed. The only way to send warm blooded creatures is via air freight through an airline, with drop off and pick up at an airport. It runs a few hundred dollars, same as if it were a cat or dog.

goldface
Mammals cannot be sent by normal mail or by package delivery services, it's illegal and flat out dangerous. Only cold-blooded animals and day-old chicks can be mailed. The only way to send warm blooded creatures is via air freight through an airline, with drop off and pick up at an airport. It runs a few hundred dollars, same as if it were a cat or dog.
Yes, of course, I’ve had chicks and ducklings shipped by mail. But about the small mammals, I still don’t see why it’s a big deal to have them ordered in, when they’re delivered to the store regardless. That’s what I was questioning.

To stay on topic, I have noticed the same thing. I don’t see gerbils sold that much anymore. They used to be everywhere, like hamsters. I’m talking back in the 90s and early 2000s.

Princethepurplebetta
Have you tried looking on Petfinder.com ?

Also if you can id do a 40 gallon breeder for the gerbils. Theyre VERY active and like to burrow a lot. They also get (imo) too large for a 10 gallon when full grown. My 2 females are most active in a 40 so far they were in a 20Long but outgrew it pretty quickly!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• CROWNTAILBETTA
  • Rodent
Replies
Views
BottomDweller
  • Question
  • Aquariumlover1357
  • Rodent
Replies
Views
Aquariumlover1357