Finding driftwood to add

Skrabbitskrabbit

Heyall, my LFS didn’t have driftwood today but I’m really wanting some to rescape my betta tank. What type of wood should be best to use.
if I were to harvest some from my local river? I’m in Southeast US. I like tannin-rich wood. Besides boiling it, is there something else I need to do to prepare it for my tank?? Are there leaves I can also harvest in replacement of IAL (magnolia, rhododendron, oak, etc??).

Pfrozen

Well Known
Skrabbitskrabbit said:
Heyall, my LFS didn’t have driftwood today but I’m really wanting some to rescape my betta tank. What type of wood should be best to use.
if I were to harvest some from my local river? I’m in Southeast US. I like tannin-rich wood. Besides boiling it, is there something else I need to do to prepare it for my tank?? Are there leaves I can also harvest in replacement of IAL (magnolia, rhododendron, oak, etc??).
Oak leaves are an excellent choice :) any hardwood is generally good to go for driftwood, you'll want to avoid coniferous trees and woods that are very soft or have lots of sap. So no pine, spruce, grapevine, cedar, willow, yew, etc.

OP
Skrabbitskrabbit

Skrabbitskrabbit

Pfrozen said:
Oak leaves are an excellent choice :) any hardwood is generally good to go for driftwood, you'll want to avoid coniferous trees and woods that are very soft or have lots of sap. So no pine, spruce, grapevine, cedar, willow, yew, etc.
Thanks, that should not be a problem!!

New Threads