Finding A Proper Thermometer

1. M

MCosta Valued Member Member

Hi everyone... I'm having some trouble keeping my tank temperature at a consistent number...I have both a 55 gallon and a 5 gallon tank...I'm most concerned about my smaller tank as the temperature really varies from 75-80 a day and I know that's not good for my Betta...I have a 7.5 watt heater in there...I have to plug and unplug the heater numerous times a day to try to keep it consistent and it still doesn't work...any sugggestions on a new heater that can keep both my tanks at a consistent temperature? Thanks! Sorry should have posted this finding a proper heater!

2. R

RyanLewis Valued Member Member

If the heater for your 5 gallon is a cheapo heater, that may be why the water temp is so inconsistent. I know how it is to try and save money, but sometimes you just have to put in a couple extra dollars and find a decent heater. :)

3. OP
    OP
    M

Hi...yes it is a cheap heater but I couldn't find any other lower wattage heaters..don't I have to stick to a lower watt for a 5 gallon?

4. tommywantfishy

tommywantfishy Well Known Member Member

Zacro Pack of 2 LCD Digital Aquarium Thermometer Fish Tank Water Terrarium | eBay

If you have prime
    Zacro Pack of 2 LCD Digital Aquarium Thermometer Fish Tank Water Terrarium Temperature Amazon.com : Zacro Pack of 2 LCD Digital Aquarium Thermometer Fish Tank Water Terrarium Temperature : Pet Supplies

Great thermos

50 watt aqueon is a good heater for 5 gal with my Betta. Also works in my 10. Preset at 78f

5. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

I used the 50W Aqueon in my 5g betta tank too. Worked great. I still have it and it is in my 10 gallon now. Still working great lol

6. R

RyanLewis Valued Member Member

Usually yes, but there are heaters that are 25 watts and are rated for use in 5 gallon tanks. If you can find it, I have heard that the hydor theo 25 watt is good for a tank of your size. It has an auto shut-off and it has a dial do you can set your preferred temperature. The temp shouldn't fluctuate as much with this heater and it currently goes for 15-20 dollars on Amazon. :)

7. DIYhack

DIYhack Valued Member Member

I bet the smaller tank heat bouncing is more due to room temp.

Is the room AC on 24/7 or does it go up and down all day. 5 gallons will drop or go up to room temp rather quickly.

And that Zacro pack is what I have. I have two on my tank. 1 water 1 air temp.

8. Kaelico

Kaelico Valued Member Member

Amazon.com : Tetra 26447 Submersible Aquarium Heater, 50-Watt : Aquarium Heaters : Pet Supplies
    I've used this in a 5g tank and it's pretty consistent. It has automatic shut-off as well. It's also considerably cheaper than a Hydor or Aqueon.

And if you're looking into the thermometers that tommywantfishy recommended, I can vouch for them, but you'll find the same thing cheaper here.
    Amazon.com : Zacro Pack of 2 LCD Digital Aquarium Thermometer Fish Tank Water Terrarium Temperature : Pet Supplies

9. dartzy

dartzy Valued Member Member

10. OP
    OP
    M

Thanks for all the help! The new heater is on order and the thermometers suggested I already have they are great...thanks for all the suggestions!