Finding A Proper Thermometer

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by MCosta, Jul 17, 2017.

1. MCostaValued MemberMember

Hi everyone... I'm having some trouble keeping my tank temperature at a consistent number...I have both a 55 gallon and a 5 gallon tank...I'm most concerned about my smaller tank as the temperature really varies from 75-80 a day and I know that's not good for my Betta...I have a 7.5 watt heater in there...I have to plug and unplug the heater numerous times a day to try to keep it consistent and it still doesn't work...any sugggestions on a new heater that can keep both my tanks at a consistent temperature? Thanks! Sorry should have posted this finding a proper heater!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  2. RyanLewisValued MemberMember

If the heater for your 5 gallon is a cheapo heater, that may be why the water temp is so inconsistent. I know how it is to try and save money, but sometimes you just have to put in a couple extra dollars and find a decent heater. :)

3. OP
    OP
    M

MCostaValued MemberMember

Hi...yes it is a cheap heater but I couldn't find any other lower wattage heaters..don't I have to stick to a lower watt for a 5 gallon?

4. tommywantfishy

tommywantfishyWell Known MemberMember

Zacro Pack of 2 LCD Digital Aquarium Thermometer Fish Tank Water Terrarium | eBay

If you have prime
    Zacro Pack of 2 LCD Digital Aquarium Thermometer Fish Tank Water Terrarium Temperature Amazon.com : Zacro Pack of 2 LCD Digital Aquarium Thermometer Fish Tank Water Terrarium Temperature : Pet Supplies

Great thermos

50 watt aqueon is a good heater for 5 gal with my Betta. Also works in my 10. Preset at 78f

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2017
  5. AllieSten

AllieStenFishlore VIPMember

I used the 50W Aqueon in my 5g betta tank too. Worked great. I still have it and it is in my 10 gallon now. Still working great lol

6. RyanLewisValued MemberMember

Usually yes, but there are heaters that are 25 watts and are rated for use in 5 gallon tanks. If you can find it, I have heard that the hydor theo 25 watt is good for a tank of your size. It has an auto shut-off and it has a dial do you can set your preferred temperature. The temp shouldn't fluctuate as much with this heater and it currently goes for 15-20 dollars on Amazon. :)

7. DIYhack

DIYhackValued MemberMember

I bet the smaller tank heat bouncing is more due to room temp.

Is the room AC on 24/7 or does it go up and down all day. 5 gallons will drop or go up to room temp rather quickly.

And that Zacro pack is what I have. I have two on my tank. 1 water 1 air temp.

8. Kaelico

KaelicoValued MemberMember

Amazon.com : Tetra 26447 Submersible Aquarium Heater, 50-Watt : Aquarium Heaters : Pet Supplies
    I've used this in a 5g tank and it's pretty consistent. It has automatic shut-off as well. It's also considerably cheaper than a Hydor or Aqueon.

And if you're looking into the thermometers that tommywantfishy recommended, I can vouch for them, but you'll find the same thing cheaper here.
    Amazon.com : Zacro Pack of 2 LCD Digital Aquarium Thermometer Fish Tank Water Terrarium Temperature : Pet Supplies

9. dartzy

dartzyValued MemberMember

10. OP
    OP
    M

MCostaValued MemberMember

Thanks for all the help! The new heater is on order and the thermometers suggested I already have they are great...thanks for all the suggestions!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice