Finaly Cycled

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Applescruff, Jun 20, 2018.

1. Applescruff

ApplescruffValued MemberMember

It took four months for my 20 gallon tank to cycle . I purchased a seeded sponge filter from Angels Plus which seemed to help. I have an aqeon filter as well.
    My question is, shoUld I co to use to run the sponge filter as well as my aqeon? How soon is it ok to change the cartridge in the aqueon and how long should I leave the sponge filter in before I replace it?

2. Raizinhell

RaizinhellValued MemberMember

Four months??? Thats a long time to cycle a tank.

3. FishGirl38

FishGirl38Valued MemberMember

So, alot of forum goers would say not to 'replace' the cartridge entirely.
    You could rinse it out in the bucket of water after you've done a water change and put it back into the filter, that will clean it and keep it seeded.

Now, to avoid letting the carbon run out, you can buy another cartridge, and rather than totally replacing the old with the new, you can (hopefully there is enough room in the filter) stuff both the old and the new cartridge into the filter and a few days to a week later, remove the old cartridge and leave the new.

This makes it so that you never lose your BB. If there isn't enough room...you could lay it ontop of the filter, just as long as water is running through it and it's in close contact with the other media, the BB will transfer.

-if that's what you meant. More filtration is better than less so, if you're asking when you can downsize filters, You can do that at any-time though it's never optimal. If you have seeded media in your aqueon filter, than you could remove the sponge filter BUT...again more is better than less, having it in there will always help.

4. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsyFishlore VIPMember

I would not remove the sponge filter. It is probably holding the majority of your cycle bacteria.
    It is unnecessary to change your cartridge out regularly. If you just toss it and add a new one, you’re tossing your bacteria. Just swish it in old tank water from a water change and put it back. When it starts to deteriorate, or if you want to run carbon all the time, add a second cartridge. The carbon lasts for about a month. So as long as you always have 2 cartridges in there, you can toss the older one and add a new one at the same time.

5. PhillyKev

PhillyKevValued MemberMember

I don't believe the Aqueon charcoal cartridge hosts much bacteria. The sleeve and another plastic area are the "bio media". I managed to squeeze a small bag of Fluval biomax in front of charcoal cartridge inside the sleeve as well. If really want to keep the old cart for a while, you can cut it open and remove the charcoal then stuff the mesh back in the sleeve with the new cart.

6. mattgirl

mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

You don't want to replace the sponge filter until it is literally falling apart. You may want to clean it though. Take a bucket of tank water (the water you removed while doing a water change) and squeeze the sponge in that water. You may have to squeeze it a number of times. Just do it until no more black comes out of it. You are not removing bacteria by doing this. You are just getting the build up of waste out of it. The bacteria will still be clinging to the sponge. Just be sure to keep the sponge under water while doing this. You want as little air as possible to hit the sponge.

This needs to be done occasionally because the sponge gets clogged with waste and can hold no more. At that point it is no longer doing its job of helping to keep the water clean. If you have had this sponge in your tank the whole 4 months it has taken to cycle this tank it most likely needs to be cleaned by now.

7. OP
    OP
    Applescruff

I have only had the sponge for about two weeks. Thanks for the advice.

Thanks! Good advice!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2018
  8. Hunter1

Hunter1Well Known MemberMember

Great advice from all that posted.

If/when you change your filter cartridge, put the old one in front (up stream side) of the new one for a month at least.

9. OP
    OP
    Applescruff

It doesn’t fit in front , only in back .

10. jdhef

jdhefModeratorModerator Member

Then put the new one where the old one was and put the old one behind it.

11. OP
    OP
    Applescruff

That’s what I did. Thanks for the advice.

12. jdhef

jdhefModeratorModerator Member

You're welcome.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice