Finally!

1. x

xxSTEPHENSxx Valued Member Member

Ok it completed!! I have my first cycled tank.

I have 0 0 .5 now!

Should I remove the shrimp and get my fish out of the uncycled 10gal tank and place them in the 55gal?

2. m

michael68 Valued Member Member

I think your good to go.I would float the fish for 20 minutes in the new tank.Dump a little old water and add little new water.Do This three times 20 minutes and your fish will get used to the new water.It might be overkill but at least you know your fish will be aclimated.

3. OP
    OP
    x

Ok will do. Should I remove the nasty chunck of shrimp now?

4. c

claudicles Well Known Member Member

Jaime I hope you don't mind but I notice you have two different pH's listed in your aquarium info - 7.6 L and 8.2 H. Your pH is 8.2. If the colour corresponds to a number on the limit of the range of a test, it means the result may be out of range. A colour right in the middle of the range is much more reliable. It is probably less confusing to just use the high range pH test for now unless the colour goes that pale tan colour of 7.4.

5. OP
    OP
    x

Not at all. I am glad you cleared that up for me. So I should use the "high PH"?

Can I remove the nasty shrimp now? The fish poo should feed the nitrates correct? I will only have 2 cories and 5 glofish in the tank for now. Is that enough?

6. OP
    OP
    x

Well I removed the shrimp and moved the fish into the 55gal. They seem pretty happy in the BIG tank... didn't know glofish could swim so fast. I will keep a close eye on the water status. I need to finish the decor in the tank now.

Now I think I am going to cycle the 10gal and put a betta in it.

7. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Congrats on finishing the cycling!!!!

Isn't it great when you can give you fish the room they need to swim!

8. MindTravel3r

MindTravel3r Valued Member Member

Congratulations Jamie!

I just completed the cycling of my tank about a week ago, so I can definitely relate to that great feeling.

I think the first thing I would do is add three or four more corys. They are a social fish and will be more comfortable in larger numbers.

9. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Congrats Jamie!

I hope you can share some photos with us sometime.

Ken

10. peacemaker92

peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

11. OP
    OP
    x

Thanks guys! It does feel good. This is going to be my community tank. I have another 55gal in the garage which I hope to stock with Cichlids of some sort.

Pics will be coming soon.

12. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Cool! Congrats on the cycle, can't wait for pics!

13. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

My analogy for the API ph tests is as follows:
    Suppose you have two thermometers one that reads from 0 to 60 degrees(low temp thermometer) and another that reads from 50 to 120 degrees (high temp thermometer).

If the temperature is 80 degrees the low temp thermometer will read 60 degrees, but the high temp thermometer will read 80 degrees.

Conversly if it were 40 degrees the low temp thermometer will read 40 degrees and the high temp thermometer will read 50 degrees.

The thermometers and the ph test can only read in the range they are calibrated for.