Finally Went Salty

Bando

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi everyone,

I finally went salty. It's been a struggle but the allure of salt was too much! Before I get to far I want to state my purpose. My purpose with this tank is to learn! No fish or coral! I probably am moving in a few months for work and I want do a test tank.

Purpose: to understand, observe, and become familiar with saltwater needs. Specifically complete a cycle and keep parameters in the appropriate ranges for 3 months. Parameters to be checked pH, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, alkalinity, and phosophates (open to other suggestions.) Frequency of tests every two days.

My current setup:
20 gal long
AC70 with just the sponge
Koralia 425
10 pounds dead rock (buying another 10 pounds more soon and ~1 pound cured live rock for seeding)
AI prime HD (red and green at zero)
Solid glass top (1.5' opening on rear for equip)
20 pounds 'live' sand
Using LFS pre mix RO water (seachem @ 1.024 sg)
Adding 3 pellets of fish food every night to start ammonia production.

Will post a picture soon!

20190220-062507.jpg

I hope that works!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So are you planning on just having some inverts in there? The problem is that you need some form of biolife in there to maintain the cycle long term. Also, do you have a means of keeping the rock submerged in saltwater during the move? If you don't then the cycle will have to be started all over again. Also the light will do nothing but encourage algae to grow and with nothing to feed on it the tank will get pretty gross. Once cycled i would at least get a few snails and hermit crabs to help maintain the tank for you.

Bando

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Like Narcissus snails and red-legged hermits?

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I wouldn't go with nassarius as they are just a modest sand burrowing/cleaning snail. A single conch will be more effective and entertaining for sand cleaning and Trochus snails are good all around effective algae eaters for rocks and glass. Red legged hermits will work and you could go with a single Zebra Hermit Crab aka Left Handed Hermit Crab if you want more of a centerpiece for the tank in the meantime. The conch snail is a bit more pricey at around $10, but they are ultra hardy. Incidentally here is what the fighting conches are like. Fast Forward to the 4-4:30 mark if you want to see why they are called fighting conches:

Last edited:

Bando

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I wouldn't go with nassarius as they are just a modest sand burrowing/cleaning snail. A single conch will be more effective and entertaining for sand cleaning and Trochus snails are good all around effective algae eaters for rocks and glass. Red legged hermits will work and you could go with a single Zebra Hermit Crab aka Left Handed Hermit Crab if you want more of a centerpiece for the tank in the meantime. The conch snail is a bit more pricey at around $10, but they are ultra hardy. Incidentally here is what the fighting conches are like. Fast Forward to the 4-4:30 mark if you want to see why they are called fighting conches:

Jesterrace,

Conch's at my LFS at 15$ (not to bad really). I am thinking of adding some snails and such to help with eating the fish pellets. I began to add some Aquavitro Seed because my dead rock, I think is really dead .

My results consistently after a week have been:
pH 7.8
kH 7
NH4 0 (?)
Salinity floating around 1.024 (+/- 0.005)

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would definitely give it longer and test every other day for a week. Furthermore I don't trust API kits (tough to tell the difference between 10-20 or 40-80 on the nitrate kit, can give false positives for ammonia, etc.). I would switch to Red Sea, Salifert, etc.

Bando

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Can the API give false negatives? If no, I agree it is unusual to have no ammonia or nitrite at this stage.

Salifert seems to be highly favoured.

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I've heard of false positives but not negatives. Either way though I still don't recommend or trust them and I would definitely want a "second opinion" from another test before pressing forward. It could be that you are just at the very start of the cycle as well.

Bando

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My tank now has diatom growth. Is this another indicator of high nitrates and a complete cycle?

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It's usually after the diatom bloom goes away and a drop in nitrates that it is considered done. Once again though, I wouldn't do anything until you can confirm the results with a more reliable test.

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would be curious to see what the API test says just for comparison and yes, I would trust the Salifert results long before API.

Bando

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Jesterrace,

Thanks for your help in my saltwater adventure.
I am having a curious phenomenon happen in my tank. The diatoms are growing quite thickly in a circular shape. The centre of the circle the diatoms seem to be struggling, but at the periphery of the tank, the diatoms are going nuts! Is my light on too bright of a setting? It does seem to correlate that brighter light intensity leads to slower growth.

Bando

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
AI Prime HD @ ~43 watts
All levels are at 100% except green and red. It is on the 12-inch gooseneck with a solid glass top.

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Tank is 20 gallons? I wouldn't be running at 100%. I run my Hydra 26 HDs (bigger brother to the Prime with the same controller software) on the 18K setting and most of the colors are running around 65% (and keep in mind this is only during peak lighting). How long do you run the lights for each day?

Bando

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It is on from 6:00 am to 6:30 pm; however, it does have the 1-hour ramp up and down.
(It is very useful for a wake-up light for my kids and a bedtime light )

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom