Finally Up And Running!

Zorro A. Knievel Esq.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thank you everyone for the advice so far. My 75 gallon is finally up and running. The stand is nice and level, the pool filter sand is in and settled already (ran the filters overnight and the water is crystal clear). The temperature is just about right - 77 F - (I'm running one 200 watt Aqueon heater in the center of the tank just below mid-level, hoping this is enough).

Now to start cycling, I bought a bottle of Seachem Prime, but if I understand the instructions correctly I need ammonia in the tank for it to work and "prime" the nitrogen cycle, right? Or am I way off haha? I would like to go the "fishless cycle" route by adding pure ammonia. Does anyone have advice on this and/or somewhere you can direct me to how to do this correctly? I.e. how much ammonia to add.

I may have access to established filter media (I'm using two Penguin 350s and my mom uses one on her 55 gallon), but that would require me to use one of her Bio-Wheels right? Not just a used carbon cartridge? Her tank has been running probably almost 10 years, but my guess is it wouldn't be worth using the media in my tank as well as it not be worth removing that stable bacteria build up from her tank.

20180509_113303.jpg

danhutchins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Zorro A. Knievel Esq. said:
Thank you everyone for the advice so far. My 75 gallon is finally up and running. The stand is nice and level, the pool filter sand is in and settled already (ran the filters overnight and the water is crystal clear). The temperature is just about right - 77 F - (I'm running one 200 watt Aqueon heater in the center of the tank just below mid-level, hoping this is enough).

Now to start cycling, I bought a bottle of Seachem Prime, but if I understand the instructions correctly I need ammonia in the tank for it to work and "prime" the nitrogen cycle, right? Or am I way off haha? I would like to go the "fishless cycle" route by adding pure ammonia. Does anyone have advice on this and/or somewhere you can direct me to how to do this correctly? I.e. how much ammonia to add.

I may have access to established filter media (I'm using two Penguin 350s and my mom uses one on her 55 gallon), but that would require me to use one of her Bio-Wheels right? Not just a used carbon cartridge? Her tank has been running probably almost 10 years, but my guess is it wouldn't be worth using the media in my tank as well as it not be worth removing that stable bacteria build up from her tank.

View attachment 436789
BB will grow and live on anything in the tank so if your mom has an established tank moving anything from her tank to yours will absolutely help. Just be sure you are feeding the BB so it doesn't die off. You can do this many different ways. If you do move some stuff from moms tank you could put 1 or 2 hardy fish in there to feed the BB, just don't put any more than that. Or you could put 2-3 drops of pure ammonia in every day or two to feed it, just remember to do 20-30% water changes every other day until you have completed the cycle. You may also choose to use other chemicals made for cycling a tank but I have no experience in those.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You will likely need more than 2-3 drops of ammonia per day for a tank this size. You want anywhere from 1-4 ppm ammonia for cycling.

For a fishless cycle, water changes aren't necessary unless ammonia or nitrites get so high that they stall the cycle (above 4-5 ppm or so).

Prime is only needed for dechlorination at this point. It won't help you cycle.

There are a few threads on fishless cycling. Check them out:
Important - Important Cycling Information

Zorro A. Knievel Esq.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I added the recommended dose of Prime, I have well water so there's no chlorine. But I guess there's no harm, just no need to continue use?

danhutchins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
TexasDomer said:
You will likely need more than 2-3 drops of ammonia per day for a tank this size. You want anywhere from 1-4 ppm ammonia for cycling.

For a fishless cycle, water changes aren't necessary unless ammonia or nitrites get so high that they stall the cycle (above 4-5 ppm or so).

Prime is only needed for dechlorination at this point. It won't help you cycle.

There are a few threads on fishless cycling. Check them out:
Important - Important Cycling Information
Good looking out on the ammonia. I missed where the tank size was and was just putting it out there. I see now it's a 75 gallon and that would call for much more...

danhutchins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Zorro A. Knievel Esq. said:
Is ammonium chloride (something like Dr. Tim's) the same or different than "pure ammonia"?
Ammonia chloride is what you would be using. As far as I know it's the same as pure ammonia but I could be wrong.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom