Finally up and running!

1. mcronix Member Member

Finally have my 40g breeder up and running :;banaman
    Low tech setup with an eheim 2217.
    Now just need to wait for the cycle to complete!

IMG_0500.JPG

2. dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

Excellent! I love it! Any ideas for the foreground? Chain Pygmy Swords or something like that or just leave it like it is?

3. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

Looks awesome!

4. katiemorrison94 Member Member

Your tank looks great! I cant wait to get mine planted like yours!

5. mcronix Member Member

Thanks!
    I was thinking of potentially some dwarf sag but the online store I got plants from didn't have any.

I'm open to suggestions, will look into pygmy swords! Would these be OK in a low tech tanks?

6. mcronix Member Member

Thanks! My first ever planted setup but still looking good after 2 days :)

7. dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

What light do you have? What is the distance from the light to the substrate?

8. mcronix Member Member

I have the Fennex Planted+ 247 about 2 inches from glass top in a tank 16" tall.
    The substrate is diamond blasting abrasive with root tabs.

Some of the leaves of my Vals at the back are going a bit brown but have read this is relatively normal when introducing to a new tank and hopefully will grow back after trimming dead parts.

9. dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

That light is pretty strong. You should get a Maximum of 60 PAR at 16 inches depth directly under the light: of course the light power lessens away from dead center. I can see you growing chain Pygmy swords with it, but you will have to dose Glut. If you want a Low-tech tank you will have to dim your output. I would consider carpeting with Cryptcoryne Willisii: the light demands are about medium for that, but it will accept high light.

10. mcronix Member Member

So are you saying there is a possibility my lighting is too strong? It isn't on full brightness for long due to using the 247 function.

I have italian vals, java ferns and moss, amazon swords and bacopa carolina currently.

11. dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

sorry for the delay. i would definitely be careful with the light strength and increase the light sparingly. be careful not to create an algae farm.