Finally Took The Plunge To Import Bettas

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by e_watson09, Aug 12, 2019.

1. e_watson09

e_watson09Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +332
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Apparently all it took was me having a REALLY bad weekend to finally take the plunge to import a couple bettas! I have wanted to for years but always chickened out!

Finally decided to take the plunge!

These two will arrive stateside in 1 week then will be shipped to me. My son already named them Blue and Echo (yes, after the dinosaurs on Jurassic World).

We are crazy excited to get them, we have two cycled tanks waiting for them!

Depending on how this whole process goes we will likely be importing more in the future <3

Blue.Echo.

2. Rdrb

RdrbValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +32
    Great
    Great news bro let me know if they ship to india hehehe

3. OP
    OP
    e_watson09

Ratings:
    +332
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    The different breeders will ship to different countries depending on if they have a tran-shipper in the area. Here's the link to the breeder I went through and this page shows every where they ship. I actually found them originally on Aquabid.com and have been talking to them for a few months about making a purchase.

Shipping - NiceBettaThailand

4. Rdrb

RdrbValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +32
    Right thanks a lot bro also hope you have a nice weekend cause you said you werent

5. mattgirl

mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
    Ratings:
    +6,775
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I am sorry to hear that you had a really bad weekend. Hopefully these beauties will arrive as healthy as they look in the photos and will make you feel better.

6. Benfreshwater

BenfreshwaterValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +148
    Experience:
    Just started
    Always wanted to take the plunge and import something from online but never dared to do it as of yet. Will be good to see how they turn up when you get them be sure to post pictures before and after opening. Might get more people like me to just grow the balls to order instead of relying on my lfs to stock something exciting every so often

7. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +2,380
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    They are gorgeous! Wishing them safe travels to their new home.

8. treadingwater

treadingwaterValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +164
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Holy cow that place has some gorgeous fishes! The "Rose Big Red Inferno Black Ring" is absolutely STUNNING! Too bad its a rose tail though

9. OP
    OP
    e_watson09

Ratings:
    +332
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Thank you all! I will most certainly be posting updates when they arrive. I'd imagine mid next week I'll have them!

This breeder has always had great bettas and was willing to spend the extra time to talk to me so I appreciated that! I do know they have GREAT lighting and a good camera so they may not look this BAM gorgeous in person in my lighting but they'll be pretty regardless and I may just need to upgrade my lighting haha!

I for sure will! Don't feel bad, I have been on the fence for about 10 years now! A big issue for me is I got a REALLY bad taste in my mouth after trying to work with a couple US breeders so it kind of turned into sticking with LFS bettas or importing. Once I really researched and contacting shippers and such I quickly realized there wasn't a huge price difference in going to a good US breeder versus importing.

10. Benfreshwater

BenfreshwaterValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +148
    Experience:
    Just started
    I'll definitely have to take a look at the site and see if I can persuade myself to just do it. Cheers

11. OP
    OP
    e_watson09

Ratings:
    +332
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Check out Aquabid.com too! That's how I found this breeder originally. There are SO MANY amazing breeders out there depending on what you're looking for! <3

12. CheshireKat

CheshireKatWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +499
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I torture myself looking on ebay and AquaBid but haven't done it yet. I don't even have room anyway, but that doesn't stop me trying to come up with something. But I just don't have any furniture nor room/money for furniture and don't think I'd enjoy my imported betta on the floor.

13. OP
    OP
    e_watson09

Ratings:
    +332
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I put tanks on my kitchen counter for them HAHAHA

..move over blender, fish are more important

14. Mcasella

McasellaFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +4,299
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Which transshipper are you using?

15. CheshireKat

CheshireKatWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +499
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Haha, I agree! But I don't have a kitchen even big enough for two people to move around in, much less anywhere to put a tank. Plus due to the small kitchen/living area and absolutely no air flow, cooking quickly raises the temp, which I don't feel comfortable subjecting fish to.
    Trust me, I've gone through many possibilities trying to figure out where I can safely stick a fish! I've lately been eyeing the 26 gallon tub next to my bed that is basically functioning as a nightstand and only has some misc junk in it.

Yes, I was looking at fish again earlier and was wondering that as well.

16. Mcasella

Ratings:
    +4,299
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Honestly Linda takes forever, the only reliable one i've been able to use without ending up with dead or delayed fish was jesse in florida, which may be further than you are wanting to ship (as well as lowest shipping cost).

17. Debbie1986

Debbie1986Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +101
    wow, stunning looking Bettas! congrats

18. OP
    OP
    e_watson09

Ratings:
    +332
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I spoke with Jesse a lot and I actually planned to use him but I don't think the breeder understood when I told him who I wanted to use. I'm using Joel Fernandez in Texas, he's been super helpful in answering my questions and has great reviews so I'm hopping for the best!

When I was researching I heard a lot of issues with Linda regarding time it takes her. When I spoke with Joel he told me he is shipping the morning after they arrive to him so I should have my fish by Thursday or Friday of next week

Once I have the fish in hand I plan to do an unboxing video so I'll know a lot more once the fish is here as to how the overall experience with this transhipper has gone!

As far as mine being in the kitchen I have a huge kitchen so they're not near any heat at all aside from the K-cup coffee maker and that's still a good 6ft down the counter

19. Mcasella

Ratings:
    +4,299
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Joel is a new one that i haven't yet used, so hopefully he is as good as Jesse as far as shipping immediately and lower costing.

20. OP
    OP
    e_watson09

Ratings:
    +332
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Yeah I want to say once all was said and done total cost from Texas to Ohio was $26 for the two fish.

Become a Fishlore Member