Finally There!!!

AvalancheDave

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am by no means a chemistry expert but I do not think that ammonia, nitrite, nitrate are 1:1 relationships, as in its normal for Nitrates to be much higher than 1ppm when 1ppm ammonia is processed (however I would like to know why as well since it would see it would be since NH4 -> NO2 ->N03 seems like it should be since there is one Nitrogen per...I assume that nitrogen is extracted from the air somwhere along in this conversion as there is no way I can see that this can be a 1:1:1 relationship, at least I sure dont think my mbuna tank makes 40+ PPM of ammonia a week! (40mg/L * 280L = 11.2grams) - hrm, maybe that is more realistic than I thought, thats only ~11ml... Hopefully I am making SOME sense here...
To convert from NH3 to NH3-N, divide by 1.21589:

4 ppm NH3 = 3.29 NH3-N

3.29 NH3-N is equivalent to 3.29 NO2-N and 3.29 NO3-N.

To convert from NO2- to NO2-N, divide by 3.286.

3.29 NO2-N = 10.81 ppm NO2-.

Then convert from NO3-N to NO3- by multiplying by 4.42664:

3.29 NO3-N = 14.56 NO3-.

So, 4 ppm NH3 will turn into 10.81 ppm NO2- which will turn into 14.56 ppm NO3-.

Ferretlady

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks everyone!

Ok -- seems I'm still just waiting on that Nitrite bacteria to really kick in!!

YESTERDAY (Friday) -- Ammonia 0 Nitrite back up to app. 4 or above...

The Ammonia had been 0 on Thursday also, I'd left it alone that day, without dosing again.

So - I did two water changes, app. 75% each, just to pull that nitrite number down, hoping I'd be able to go a couple days before it got too high again....

AFTER the two water changes, I had Nitrite of only 0.25 !! (Ammonia 0 of course)

Since ammonia had been 0.25 on Wednesday, and 0 on Thursday, I went ahead & dosed it back to 1.0

TODAY (Saturday) --- Ammonia 0 and Nitrite back up to at least 4!!! Argh!!!

Did another water change, about 80%+ --- afterwards, Nitrite was down to 1

I'll leave the ammonia at 0 again today... won't dose any more until tomorrow.

Whew -- that Nitrite just soars up so high, so very quickly! This is 30 days in now for me - is this normal or am I doing anything wrong? Shouldn't the nitrite be converting just a *little* bit faster by now? It looks like, until the nitrite bacteria does start working better, I'm going to have to do almost daily heavy water changes just to keep the nitrite below 5. I don't really want to go more than 48 hrs at 0 ammonia, do I?Again - if this all looks "normal" -- that's OK.... Or is there something I can do (or not do?) to help the nitrite-converting bacteria to grow?

Maybe I'm just too much of a worrier - I just don't want to be messing things up somehow...

I am getting nitrates, so there is *some* nitrite being converted - but it is just building up way way faster than it is converting....

I'd buy some of those other bacteria additives - but I can't think of any other supplies I really need right now, and I hate to pay shipping for just one small item But if this continues on for another week or so, with no discernible change, I'll get hold of the other bacteria products.

Ferretlady

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Finally!!!!

Since my last post - for about 4-5 days more, things continued as they were - ammonia converting completely, and nitrites going sky-high... water changes, water changes to keep the nitrites in check.

Then - practically overnight - the nitrites were gone! Totally amazing... one day, no noticeable drop at all, only an increase, if anything. The *very next day*, almost all the nitrite had coverted! From that time forward, both ammonia & nitrite have zeroed out every day! Everything happened so quickly & drastically, I re-did my tests several times over the first day or two, just to make sure I was getting a correct reading!

I've been slowly increasing ammonia. Yesterday, my ammonia was dosed up to 2.0 -- this morning, I'm still getting those pretty ZEROs on ammonia & nitrite readings!

Some various issues are preventing me from getting my fish for at least a few more weeks - is there a high NITRATE level at which I should change the water, to prevent it from disrupting my cycle, or is it OK to simply let it go, up until I'm ready to get my fish - I know I do a heavy water change at that time. I might try to get some plants in the meantime - those will help with nitrates too, won't they?

SO happy to see that pretty pale aqua & yellow in those test tubes each morning! LOL! It was right about Day 37 that everything kicked in. I didn't mind the wait itself, so much as the apparent lack of progress - it had *appeared* as if nothing was happening at all & that was getting worrisome... then wham - it all changed so rapidly!

JHood

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
To convert from NH3 to NH3-N, divide by 1.21589:

4 ppm NH3 = 3.29 NH3-N

3.29 NH3-N is equivalent to 3.29 NO2-N and 3.29 NO3-N.

To convert from NO2- to NO2-N, divide by 3.286.

3.29 NO2-N = 10.81 ppm NO2-.

Then convert from NO3-N to NO3- by multiplying by 4.42664:

3.29 NO3-N = 14.56 NO3-.

So, 4 ppm NH3 will turn into 10.81 ppm NO2- which will turn into 14.56 ppm NO3-.
I know this is an older post, but I was wondering if @AvalancheDave could let me know where he got his info from for these conversions. I see a potential science fair project for one of my boys here.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom