Finally Starting To Cycle!!

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by Camel, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Camel

CamelNew MemberMember

Hi everyone,
    Over 3 months after I started my 10 gallon fish tank, I am FINALLY getting readings on Nitrites and Nitrates! It took me so long that I'm just a little paranoid that I'm going to do something to mess it up. Is there anything I should be doing with these readings? I think I just need to wait for the Nitrites to go down to zero and then the tank is officially cycled. Is that right?

Here are my numbers:

Ammonia 0.25 ppm
    Nitrite 0.25 ppm
    Nitrate 40 ppm
    pH 7.8

Does anyone have any suggestions for next step? There's been some evaporation and I'm wanting to do a little water change and fill it back up. Will that mess up the cycle?

Thank you so much for any help!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  2. Tokie Wartooth

Tokie WartoothNew MemberMember

Honestly I have no clue what's going on here... your units are all jacked up(mg/l ammonia?) Idk if this is troll or not....

3. OP
    OP
    Camel

CamelNew MemberMember

Hi Christopher. Thanks for pointing out my weird units. That was just me being tired and misreading them on the API chart. Fixed now.

4. Tokie Wartooth

Tokie WartoothNew MemberMember

If your only getting 0.25ppm ammonia and your nitrate readings are up, you're almost there. Continue to keep your ammonia levels at 4ppm and once your BB can process that to 0 in 12 hours you're good to go to 100% stock your tank.

5. Jenoli42

Jenoli42Well Known MemberMember

wow 3 months is a long time mate! what were you using for an ammonia source? did you go natural or use bottled bacteria?

congrats btw! your nitrates are healthy & I reckon you're nearly there!! how exciting :)

6. OP
    OP
    Camel

CamelNew MemberMember

It was a fish-in cycle, sadly. (I lost a few in the process). That's part of why it took so long. Also, someone suggested I double the amount of de-chlorinator I was using. I think that may have helped.