Finally some good news!!

littlefishgirl

Reaction score
After all my posts about fish dying lately I noticed a new life in my other tank. A tiny baby fish! Only I have no idea where it's come from lol. I'm such a novice and yes I know it will probably get eaten but I didn't notice any of my fish looking particularly big/pregnant. I have 5 guppies which I'm sure are male. They have the same bottom fins! Two platys which just yesterday I was trying to sex and thought could be male female and 6 rosy tetras. I'll post some pics of you could confirm? ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1451518211.184198.jpgImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1451518528.239001.jpgImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1451518322.741820.jpg

Attachments

Andrewwl94

Reaction score
Your platys do look like they are females, so your fry could be from those? They do look pretty big so possibly pregnant and they are live bearers. They have a curved analfin where as a male has a pointed analfin.

Do you have any pictures of your baby fry?

Sent from my E5823 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

OP
L

littlefishgirl

Reaction score
It's hiding so not a great picture! I only see one but don't they give birth to multiples? Or have they already been eaten? ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1451521287.676593.jpgI have a fish bowl I could put him in? I'd like to save it/them if possible

Divus

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Platy can have between 24 to 48 fry and they are very good at hiding. Also the female can hold off giving birth so not all may be yet born. They should be OK if you can add hiding places for them and a food source like liquifry.

Sent from my E6653 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Andrewwl94

Reaction score
Definitely looks like platy fry! Congratulations :).

It's possible some fry could have been eater but fish also won't let fry drop until they feel it's safe to do so, they usually drop fry during the morning hours when it's dark.

You could keep the little guy in your spare bowl but you will need to keep the Water at a steady temp, I had to get a breeding net to keep my fry in before I set up my fry tank.

If you have a net to catch your fish in then you can just put the one fry in there for the time being? It works I done it for 3 guppy fry for about a week before getting the breeding net..

I wouldn't worry to much about them as they will drop fry pretty often. My guppies drop around every 5-6 weeks.

Andrewwl94

Reaction score
I balanced mine so the tip of the net was out the water to stop any fish getting to the fry. It's worth a shot especially if you want to try and maximise the chances of survival

Attachments

boshk

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
littlefishgirl said:
It's hiding so not a great picture! I only see one but don't they give birth to multiples? Or have they already been eaten? ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1451521287.676593.jpgI have a fish bowl I could put him in? I'd like to save it/them if possible
congrats! hope you can rescue and save them

Andrewwl94

Reaction score
How is your little fry doing? Did you keep him in the main tank or did you end up setting the bowl up for it?

krack499

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Fry are exciting I found some in my tank and did the net trick for a day or two then got a small tote that sat above the tank using water from my main tank now I've got a 10 gal for them but anyway good luck with the fry:thumbup:

Sent from my SM-G360V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Onyx

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
When I was inexperienced my fish kept dying and I didn't know why but then I found 1 incredibly small fry and currently shes a one inch silver molly who won't stop eating lol.

OP
L

littlefishgirl

Reaction score
I decided to get some plants for him to hide in and he's still around. I've called him nemo cause I'm always trying to find him lol.

Still only see the one but mummy platy still looks quite big. Not sure how long they can hold their fry for. Her tummy is bloated compared to the darker one.

NinjaTetra

Well Known
Reaction score
Guppies and platies are closely related enough that they can interbreed. That may be what happened, if the platy wasn't already pregnant

~ <-----that's one of those cool squiggly lines you do before a signature.

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
NinjaTetra said:
Guppies and platies are closely related enough that they can interbreed. That may be what happened, if the platy wasn't already pregnant

If I'm not mistaken, it's guppies and mollies that can interbreed.

NinjaTetra

Well Known
Reaction score
I did some research, and mollies and guppies can have more or less healthy, fertile offspring easily. Male
Guppies will mate with female platies and it seems like occasionally they end up having non fertile mostly crippled offspring. But often there is no result

DioAquatics

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
NinjaTetra said:
I did some research, and mollies and guppies can have more or less healthy, fertile offspring easily. Male
Guppies will mate with female platies and it seems like occasionally they end up having non fertile mostly crippled offspring. But often there is no result

Guppies and platy cannot interbreed. Although they are closely related, they are in different groups. Guppies and Molly are in the Poecilia group, Platy and Swordtails are in the Xiphophorus group. So guppies and mollies can interbreed, as well as platy and swordtails. But guppies/mollies cannot breed with platy/swordtails

Annie424

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Aw, what a cute little guy! Extra plants are a good idea, but I think you can also get those fry nets that hang on the back of the tank if you are really worried he might get eaten. I used to use them a long time ago when I had community tanks (like in the 80's and 90's, LOL). If memory serves, they are a green netting that is held in place with very small plastic bars to make a box - about 6" x 3 or 4". The water is still able to flow through from the tank but larger fish can't get to them to eat them. I imagine they still make these things? Although I haven't seen them in local stores, honestly I haven't ever looked for them since the only fish I have now are bettas...if someone still makes these things your LFS could carry something similar.

Annie424

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
KingD said:
Guppies and platy cannot interbreed. Although they are closely related, they are in different groups. Guppies and Molly are in the Poecilia group, Platy and Swordtails are in the Xiphophorus group. So guppies and mollies can interbreed, as well as platy and swordtails. But guppies/mollies cannot breed with platy/swordtails
Good information to have! I never knew this. I used to keep mollies, swordtails, and guppies (amongst others) in community tanks but never once thought of them interbreeding. I love learning something new every day!

New Threads