Finally sold common pleco, question on stocking some BN's Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by apple429, Jan 2, 2013.

1. apple429Well Known MemberMember

Okay, so I was finally able to sell my common pleco and I plan on stocking a couple more bristle nose Plecos in a couple months.

Here is my current stock:

4 zebra Danios
    2 blood parrot cichlids (1 small, 1 large)
    1 bristle nose pleco
    7 swordtails ( 3 males, 4 females, which are in and out frequently for breeding)

So I was wondering what your thoughts were about getting a couple BN's to munch on the algae in my tank. Of course I will still supplement their diet with cucumbers.
    Thanks for your help!

2. kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

I think 55 is okay for a pair of BPs, but I know they're usually not kept with a lot of other fish due to their aggressive tendencies. IF it's okay to keep them with danios, then I would get a few more, as they're schooling fish (at least six) and nix the swords. Swords can get pretty darn big, and are semi aggressive too, so that may not be a good mix with BPs. But like Alex said, I wouldn't be surprised if danios spooked the BPs, so I would leave out the extra fish. I know that plecos often latch on to larger fish and suck off the slime coat, so I'm not sure if those would work as well..

In conclusion, I don't really know, so I'd wait for more responses :p

3. apple429Well Known MemberMember

Oh dang... I forgot to put that in there, yes it is my 55G. And thank you for the advice. I am actually going to get a 125G+ in the summer (it's a VERY long story, and I don't want to write a book, but I do have my reasons), so I am keeping the parrots until then. The danios I will consider selling.

Thanks again for the advice.

4. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

2 blood parrots can easily fit in a 55 with other smaller fish.

5. cbowlincatfishValued MemberMember

your excited that you sold the common pleco, is there a problem with common pleco's and what is better about a bristle nose.

6. apple429Well Known MemberMember

Interesting though on the slime coat... I thought those were Chinese algae eaters that were know for doing that. And I have read that danios can get pretty "nippy" when you increase their schooling number. And as for the BP's and swords, they seem to do really well with each other. Interesting points though... Definitely points to consider though. Thank you.

7. apple429Well Known MemberMember

Yes I am excited that the common pleco found a better home, this is because he was pushing 9 inches in length and needed a bigger home. The bristle nose Plecos only get about 4 inches in length with a minimum tank requirement of 30 gallons.

8. apple429Well Known MemberMember

+1

And they do A LOT better job on algae munchin, but my BN does does a good job in the smaller spaces that are hard for me to get, which is one more reason why I want to get a couple more, so my hard to reach areas will be cleaned without me "trying hard to reach there" lol.

I would also like to comment one more time that their diets would be support with cucumbers or zucchini.

9. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

I'm not sure who told you that. It's not accurate. You can do 4 BP's in a 75. You probably got advice from people that don't actually own them.

10. kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

Actually they will be nippier in a small group because they won't feel comfortable and will be stressed. A larger group means they will keep their squabbles within the group and not harass other fish :)

11. apple429Well Known MemberMember

Okay... That does make sense. Thank you.

So what are everybody's thoughts on what I should do?
    In summary to all of the above posts I have these opinions:
    Remove both BP's.
    Keep both BP's.
    Add a few BN pleco's, my original question.
    Add more danios to the existing school.

I think that is all of them. Thanks for the help!

12. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

I'd add some more danios and call it good. As for algae, there are better ways of dealing with it than adding more fish. How long do you keep your lights on?

13. apple429Well Known MemberMember

Sounds good... I keep my lights on for 8 hours a day, which is about the bare bare minimum amount of lights for my plants to grow slow, but still stay strong.

14. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

If you're getting algae with plants, it means something isn't balanced. What plants do you have? Do you dose any ferts? Also, what find of light fixture do you have? what temperature are the bulbs (6500k etc)? Also, how old are the bulbs? Bulbs are usually only good for about a year, then their light output changes and can cause algae issues.

15. apple429Well Known MemberMember

I dose 5ml of seachem flourish excel and flourish iron every weekday. I use flourish tabs sparingly every four months. This my the light fixture I am using, I have two:  . So I have two 6000k and two 650nm bulbs which I bought in June or July. My tank temp is 78+/-.

16. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

That's a lot of light! Personally, I'd play with your excel dosing. You can also spot treat algae with excel.

17. apple429Well Known MemberMember

Okay... Sounds good! Do you think I should start by lowering or raising the dosage?

18. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

I'd raise it. It may take some experimentation but I'm sure you can find the right dose for your tank.

19. apple429Well Known MemberMember

Okay great! Thanks for your help! I will play with it and see how it goes.

20. kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

The problem would be too low of a dosage, so I would increase it slowly. I second spot-treating; before I got a CO2 injection system I was using Excel with little results. Then I got a small syringe and would turn the filter off and squirt it directly on the leaves (my anubias plants were most effected) and leave the filter off for half an hour or so. Within a few days the algae was clearly dying (I had BBA, which turns red when it dies).

8 hours is a lot of light. I have two 54W T5HOs on my 55 gallon and the lights are only on for 6 hours, and I just recently increased from 5 hours daily. I have injected CO2 though and I dose with dry ferts (so I can more accurately add what needs to be added) so that helps keep the algae at bay.

What kind of plants do you have? Some (like slow-growing anubias) are more susceptible to algae growth than others.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice