Finally ready to add more fish I think

Fish20G

Hi, everyone. First let me say I'm really enjoying this place. I wish I knew more about more things so I can be of more help, but hopefully I'll get there! In the meantime, I'm really happy to have found a nice place, with nice people, to learn and ask questions.

OK so I've asked a version of this before, but then ran into some water attribute questions and put everything on hold.

But I have a 20 gallon tall with 5 Serpae Tetras. I'm wanting to add some new friends but can't seem to make a decision. I thought this time I would post a photo and it might help generate some ideas.

I've always wanted neon or cardinal tetras (had them back in grade school in my ten gallon tank). But I could do something else. Generally a fan of tetras. Generally not a fan of live bearers. But I also wanted some sort of scavenger to eat food off the bottom and algae off the rocks and plants. I'm not quite sure how to fit two sets of something else in without making it too crowded for them because everything I come across wants 5+ in the group. I want them to be happy, and I don't want anything with aggression. I guess I'm also OK without adding another group of tetras and just supplementing with cleaners of some sort.

Thank you for any ideas on stocking, decor, and more!!

Attachments

• tempImagesRQ49b.png
    tempImagesRQ49b.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 28

kimsch1005

Serpaes can be notorious fin nippers. Stay away from anything slow swimming with long fins just to be safe. Bottom dwellers would help fill the bottom part of the tank, so I would personally go that route. Cories will scavenge the bottom and are pretty adorable. If you want something that will help with algae though, otos are a personal favorite. You also can never go wrong with amano shrimp.
Shrimp have a very small bioload so you could add 5-7 of them and still have room for another small group of something else. Understocking is always the way to go though!

Fish20G

Serpaes can be notorious fin nippers. Stay away from anything slow swimming with long fins just to be safe. Bottom dwellers would help fill the bottom part of the tank, so I would personally go that route. Cories will scavenge the bottom and are pretty adorable. If you want something that will help with algae though, otos are a personal favorite. You also can never go wrong with amano shrimp.
Shrimp have a very small bioload so you could add 5-7 of them and still have room for another small group of something else. Understocking is always the way to go though!
Thank you! I’ve heard that about serpaes. I was thinking about panda cories and was worried because I don’t have sand. But other folks on here have said I’d be ok. How many cories do you think? They prob wouldn’t help with algae much but I could always get a snail I suppose.

kimsch1005

T
Thank you! I’ve heard that about serpaes. I was thinking about panda cories and was worried because I don’t have sand. But other folks on here have said I’d be ok. How many cories do you think? They prob wouldn’t help with algae much but I could always get a snail I suppose.
The ideal minimum is 5. With 5 cories and your sarpeas you'd be pretty much fully stocked (always assuming a full stock is a slight understock). You could still add some amanos or some snails for algae control.

Sand and finer substrate is more ideal for cories since they rest on it, but since your substrate looks like polished river rocks it shouldn't do any harm.

ruud

Personally, I don't see the enjoyment of watching 2 tetra species in the same tank. But that's just me. Watching 1 species in fairly high numbers in a looooooong tank, can be a joy.

Adding fish for sake of cleaning-up doesn't make any sense. There should be no reason for cleaning up in the first place or a sustainable solution in place. Less food, more plants should be the solution. And shrimp, yes.

Adding a group of Oto's seems out of the question, unless you feed them dedicated food as algae are controlled quickly.

Adding cory's to clean up the bottom won't work as you don't have sandy substrate. On sandy substrate, any left-over food stays on top of the substrate. Besides, I think cory's deserve a substrate they can dig in slightly with their barbels.

I also think the fish mentioned require different water conditions.

Just another opinion...

Tigerburp

Agree with corys,corys don’t have to have sand they are fine on gravel or rocks like your . I say go for it

Fish20G

Thanks all. Mostly just wanting them all to be happy and not overcrowded but add some fun and activity to the tank. I don’t have a clean up problem. It’s more about getting the locations right so they aren’t on top of each other. The serpae squad is in the middle third of the tank usually. Appreciate the feedback.

Fish20G

Well I'm all mixed up now and thinking about the following options:
  1. 6 seprae tetra + 5 panda Cory
  2. 6-7 seprae tetra + 6-7 pygmy Cory
  3. Maybe switch to sand to get a more natural habitat (scared to do this though)
  4. All serpaes... seems like having 10-11 would be pretty cool. Then just a one species tank I guess.
Hmmm...don't know.

Tigerburp

Well I'm all mixed up now and thinking about the following options:
  1. 6 seprae tetra + 5 panda Cory
  2. 6-7 seprae tetra + 6-7 pygmy Cory
  3. Maybe switch to sand to get a more natural habitat (scared to do this though)
  4. All serpaes... seems like having 10-11 would be pretty cool. Then just a one species tank I guess.
Hmmm...don't know.
Definitely option 1, if you want to switch to sand that’s fine but if you are not confident in doing so just leave it be

ruud

You add 1-1.5 inch of sand in the tank and.....nothing happens. Just rinse the sand well prior to adding it to the tank. This makes feeding cory's a lot easier and more efficient, as particles are not slipping through the tiny pebbles of your current substrate. If you refrain from cory's I would still favor sand just for the aesthetics. Not a big fan of cheap play sand or filter sand. I use ADA La Plata as it looks much more natural and additionally dirt/waste isn't so noticeable (not that I care, but some people favor clean-looking tanks).

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MacZ
  • Question
Replies
Views
Jsiska
  • Question
Replies
Views
Noroomforshoe