FINALLY--now what do I do?

1. RudeeRu Member Member

"Cycle" girl here:

:D ;D :-*  FINALLY I think I can celebrate that my tank has cycled! 

Ammonia ZERO
    Nitrates 5-10
    NITRITES ZERO BABY! 8)
    pH 7.6

Thanks to the many suggestions of multiple water changes and AMQUEL+ (needed to use 3 doses to bring nitrite levels from deadly 5.0 + down to 0.50; nature did the rest)!  I thank you and so does my fishies and my frustrated husband!

Ok, now what to add?  I can understand the rule of 1 inch/fish per gallon, but does that mean I can only have approx. 3 fish (have a 10gallon tank)?  The adult molly size is 2-3 inches (although mine are only 1.5 inches).  I only wanted to add a pitbull pleco (2-3 inches) and an upside down catfish (2-3 inches) in addition to my 2 surivivors (and let me tell you, they ARE survivors, living thru that mucky water), and POSSIBLY an additional molly (I really like these guys!).  Also, I was going to look into adding some shrimps (looking at red cherry and bottlenose) they are small under 1inch, how much do I have to take them into account?  I have an algae problem and wanted to  take care of it naturally.  I most likely won't get the pitbull pleco for a couple weeks; have to find out if my pet store can get some in!  And one more question; I keep reading that the upside down catfish needs to be in a "school" of them, but the pet store I started using (I would call them reputable) said there's no need to.  I have also read some other websites that they are fine solo.  Anyone have any experience with these guys?  Ok thanks!

2. swoozypoo Initiate Member

Does that Amquel really work because I am at that desperate stage also. I'm doing large, frequent water changes, adding aquarium salt and stress zyme to the water and I have a nitrozorb pouch in the filter inplace of the carbon pouch but am still waiting for that nitrite level to drop. I am hopeful but also very worried about my fish.

3. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Good for you RudeeRu!!
    swoozypoo please don't add any more chemicals to your tank ;) Just be patient . It will come ;)
    Carol

4. vin Well Known Member Member

Swoozypoo - Please listen to Butterfly (Carol)....I panicked and started getting anxious like you and started adding all sorts of things that I'd read somewhere....All it did was stall my cycle....After I stopped adding all chemicals, my cycle kicked in and things are starting to happen....As long and drawn out as it seems and as tempting as it is to try and speed the process, patience is truly the key.....It will happen!! Trust me! ;)

5. swoozypoo Initiate Member

Thank you for all of you advise....I am going to remove the nitrozorb (replace carbon pouch) and only add aquarium salt with water changes. Hopefully that will do it. I will still do water changes daily unless otherwise advised (not a lot of gravel vac though). I know I am impatient but it just kills me to see fish die what I know must be a horrible death (o2 deprivation).
    Anyway, Thanks again

6. vin Well Known Member Member

If I may ask - why the aquarium salt?

7. RudeeRu Member Member

They say the salt helps to lower the nitrite level...i didn't see that. I added the Amquel + because my fish were almost dead and I had no choice (otherwise i'd lose all my fish; I had already lost one!). It worked for me, but follow your own feelings. Everyone here has great advise.

8. RudeeRu Member Member

:eek: Don't add too much salt, that's bad too!

9. vin Well Known Member Member

I saw that somewhere as well and added it to my tank.....And it turned out to be a mistake....So I no longer add it and it jump started my cycle......