Finally It’s Happening! - They’re Here!

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by CaptainAquatics, May 18, 2019.

1. CaptainAquatics Well Known Member Member

Hi! So some of you know I have been trying to track down a bichir for my flowerhorn and I finally have one being shipped to me and it’s goin to arrive Tuesday! I also am having a 8” tire track eel! I’m so exited :)

2. Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Congratulations, can't wait to see a picture!

3. CaptainAquatics Well Known Member Member

Hi! As some of you know (from a forum I posted a couple days ago, which I couldn’t find again), I had a large tire track eel and bichir being ordered. They came in today and the eel was MUCH bigger than I thought he would be. The place said 8”, he is at least 12”, but don’t get me wrong, I am happy about it. He is acclimating so I can’t get a good photo but the first good photo I get I will post :)

4. Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Congrats, that's awesome news!

5. CaptainAquatics Well Known Member Member

Here are some photos (as well as a lid photo): 5EF863A2-B8DA-4C4A-AB48-873CE4CF7EBF.jpeg 33C5C718-239E-44F1-A34D-747287A66556.jpeg 707E9FC5-86B3-4EE7-AE9F-7C0711D14F51.jpeg

He is a big boy. Last night he actually escaped the aquarium and I just managed to save him from dying on the ground. After that I mad the lid with a old window screen, and wood to hold it down. i had like 10 dreams last night about me waking up and either seeing him dead or alive. I swear it was tourture. But everything is all good in reality!

6. Minxxy Valued Member Member

:wideyed:Hes a big boy

7. jjohnwm Well Known Member Member

Spiny Eels are cool, as long as you keep them in the tank. :) That's a nice one.

If that's his permanent home, he would be much more comfortable with the addition of a layer of sand deep enough to let him burrow and hide, as well as some caves, driftwood, etc. A mostly-barren tank with a couple of sparse decorations in the corners is a very stressful environment for a Spiny Eel, especially if he's new to the tank. Give him lots of cover, and he will be much more likely to display himself and act naturally.

8. CaptainAquatics Well Known Member Member

Hi! No this is NOT his permanent home, the tank he is in currently is only 20 gallons. He will likely be moved to my 40 breeder with my flowerhorn, OR my 130 with my oscars and other bigger fish.