Finally have things set up & progressing well

Terry

HI all. I haven't been around in a few weeks, as I've been heavily into learning a lot about saltwater & reef tanks on the web and in a Reef Central forum that I joined. I've had my tank set up for a few weeks now, and have been spending way too much money on it and the assorted equipment, etc. etc. Sometimes I think I should have my head examined for getting into saltwater, but it's been fun as well as challenging. Hopefully the expenditures will start to decrease now. Freshwater is so much easier to deal with than saltwater (as well as so much cheaper LOL). I used to think a water change was a pain with my freshwater tanks - now it takes me an afternoon just to prepare 5 gallons of water and get the salinity adjusted, do the siphoning and cleanup afterwards. But it's worth it to see the things that grow on the live rock and the little critters that crawl out of it.

I purchased a 34 gallon Red Sea Max reef tank, a nano tank with all of the equipment in a back compartment that's pretty much hidden by a dark glass background on the tank itself. The skimmer, heater, powerhead pumps, and filtration system are in that back compartment, and all of the powercords go into a powerstrip that folds up into a dry section of that back compartment, with switches for everything in a little hidden compartment on the side. It fit my needs for the one space I had left to put a tank, and having only one external powercord for the whole unit is a plus. My wife even likes it, which sure helps. But, it's a good thing that she doesn't really know how much money I've sunk into it so far! It's also got a built in 24 hours timer in the fan cooled hood - for the lights and the moonlights that come on at night.

Anyway, here are a few pics:

Here's the tank at the beginning - still a bit cloudy from adding the aragonite sand substrate:

After it cleared up a day later:

First batch of fully cured live rock (geesh this stuff is expensive!):

First fish (my little Nemos of course!):

Also got 2 of these Spotted (Pajama) Cardinals:

One of my Peppermint Shrimp (they now come out as soon as I put food in the tank, and they scour the live rock at night).

My latest addition - diadema pseudochromis (diamema dottyback)

I also have (and need more) snails - Turbo & Nassarius.

This was after my second addition of cured live rock - brings me up to 50 lbs. and that's where I'm stopping!

This life was on my first live rock and was opened up within 3 hours after putting the live rock in. Red mushroom coral lower left (these have all multiplied in number & size greatly since then), Brown button polyps going up the middle and a group of Green Star Polyps (GSP) on the right.

These are showing up on the second batch of live rock. Red Organ Pipe Coral & polyps on the upper left, a little colony of some green center buttons on the top - left of middle, with a small group of buttons with a small orange center lower left, and what I think are green & brown majano anemones - hard to see & circled. The majanos are usually killed my most people as they're usually considered pests. I haven't dealt with mine yet - just keeping an eye on them for now & checking to see if they move or start multiplying.

One of several types of sponges growing on the rock.

I also picked up a couple hermit crab "hitchikers" that came on the last live rock - one is a fairly rare Electric Blue hermit crab with bright blue stripes on black legs. I left both in the tank for now, but disposed of some little 1" black crabs that have been the bottom of the cooler that the live rock is shipped in. Same with any bristleworms that were in the bottom (but I'm sure more are in the rock, although I haven't spotted any yet). Crabs are often a problem, especially if they turn predatory on your other livestock.

I never saw a cycle on the tank. With fully cured live rock this is typical - the cycle can be so small & quick that you miss it. I did put a dose of Red Sea Nitrobac (bacteria) in the tank with the first live rock, and also a dose of saltwater Bio-Spira at the same time that the first 4 fish were added. I've yet to see any ammonia or nitrite, but do typically get a 5-10pmm nitrate reading indicating that the bacteria are in place in sufficient quantity. I've just hung a bag of live rock rubble in the filter compartment to be sure it gets innoculated, and after a week or so I'll remove the bio-media that came with the tank. If things perform the way they should the live rock, water changes & macroalgae should control the nitrates and hopefully get those down to zero as well. I have no sump or refugium (and no room for one) so I may get some chaeto algae for the main tank, to control the nitrates, & just keep it under control.

I'm just now finishing the first expected algae outbreak - brown diatom algae, but it didn't get as bad as expected. Getting a little bit of green hairy algae now, and if that gets excessive I'll get a lawnmower blenny or some type of other cleanup critter(s) to deal with it. My turbo snails do a pretty good job on the green algae too.

Anyway, that's where I've been and where I'm at right now.

Time to get back to work now!

Terry

Bonochick

It looks wonderful! Thanks for sharing.

Terry

Thanks! It's a lot of work and a big learning curve! Now I can hopefully sit back & enjoy the tank & live rock as things mature & new life forms grow on the live rock and in the live sand.

agsansoo

Looks sharp !
Can you take pictures of the filtration system ?

Terry

agsansoo said:
Looks sharp ! 
Can you take pictures of the filtration system ?
All I could take is a picture from the top, and all you'd see is water & the top of the skimmer collection cup LOL. If you go to the Red Sea Max site, they have the pictures of the filter system and everything else there, and a nice 3D video if you have the time to download & watch it.

It's a cool nano tank. It has the usual advantages & disadvantages of having a unit with everything built in, and it took a while getting the Prizm skimmer broken in & tinkering with it to get it skimming properly. They even just came out with a hood fan upgrade that they're sending me for free - it's a quieter fan - with the hood fan going, the skimmer & skimmer pump, and 2 powerhead pumps all going at the same time it does make some noise, but it's not all that loud, and probably no more so than any saltwater tank. I got the matching cabinet too, and have most of my new Saltwater stuff stored in there, or you can fit a small chiller in the cabinet too if you expect the water to overheat in the summer. They also just released an additional fan to fit in an unused hole in the back of the hood - for additional cooling. I ordered that for only $7 to hopefully avoid having to get a chiller in the future.

agsansoo

OK .. Now I know what kind of skimmer it has ... duh .. LOL

The T5 lighting looks great ... I'm sure it looks better in person ... I can tell which photo you use your flash, and which ones you didn't.
It's very difficult to get the white balance on a digital camera just right. My tank light looks great in person ... but really blue when I take
photos of it. ??? LOL

Terry

Yep - the skimmer is a Prizm, They don't always get good reviews but it's working fine now that I have it adjusted right and did some other little tricks to it. I know what you mean on the photos with the T5 wavelengths, the actinics etc. If I don't use a flash they come out really blue. Wish my old FujI digital had a better macro lens on it too - I just can't get a decent pic if I'm trying to take a pic of something that's not close to the front of the tank.

COBettaCouple

that's a great job on the tank! really feeds our urge to do a saltwater tank, but we need to find a good source for live rock and anemone. Did you use crushed coral for your substrata?

Terry

FLBettaCouple said:
that's a great job on the tank! really feeds our urge to do a saltwater tank, but we need to find a good source for live rock and anemone. Did you use crushed coral for your substrata?
Thanks. In a month or two I hope it looks a lot better, after my corals & polyps grow more and after adding some additional ones. My substate was Red Sea aragonite, but there are probably several suppliers of other brand names:

"The ideal substrate for all saltwater fish and invertebrate tanks, Reef Base consists of naturally occurring reef sand spheres mixed with aragonite coral chips, and comes prewashed and impurity-free. The spheres, highly porous calcareous shells of simple protozoa (foraminefers), provide a large surface area for bacteria colonization and serve as an excellent media for both aerobic (nitrifying) and anaerobic (denitrifying) biological filtration. While the high buffering capacity of natural aragonite, the most dissolvable form of calcium carbonate, helps to maintain natural, stable levels of pH in the aquarium."

So, in a sense it's coral.

Don't you live in Florida? If so, you're in probably the middle of one of the best areas for saltwater corals and anemones, etc. I correspond with another guy that got this tank about the time I did, and he lives in Florida and it sounds like he has so much more available than I do in my area, and at better prices & he doesn't have to pay overnight shipping costs. It's still going to be expensive no matter what, but it's really a whole different world than freshwater. Go for it!

COBettaCouple

Yes, I live in NE florida, but a smaller town so there is nothing of saltwater life to be found here except the fish - we only have a petco in town. I'd love to find some good places within driving distance for us to shop at when we're ready to take the plunge into saltwater.

Mike

Terry said:
My wife even likes it, which sure helps. But, it's a good thing that she doesn't really know how much money I've sunk into it so far!
I can relate to that.

Man, that is a really nice lookin setup and you take some great photos. Nice job. You're right about the live rock being expensive, but it's so worth it!

I just wanted to warn you about a coupla things though. I've used the prizm skimmer and thought is was average and then it started leaking after a while. I was frequently adjusting it to try and get some good gunk in the collection cup. Also, you seem to be going kinda fast stocking wise and no mention of QT. Watch for disease in your fish and keep an eye on nitrates. I'd also frequently replace any mechanical filter media weekly (does the red sea max have this?) to export nutrients and to limit the algae growth while the tank stabilizes.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Thanks,
Mike

Radcliffe

oooh, thanks for the amazing photos! Salt tanks are so incredibly beautiful, and varied. I love reading about the different things that gro on the rock and new discoveries as the tank ages and grows together. Updates are very welcome! I would be very happy to see how the rock looks over time in the tank!

----R

Terry

HI Mike & thanks. I knew about all of the negative feedback (more negative than positive) on the Prizm skimmers before I got the tank. And it does take a lot of fiddling to get it working correctly. It's skimming great now. As far as leaking, it sits in the back water filled compartment of the tank so if it leaks, it can't leak outside the tank. The Prizm was my biggest concern about the tank, but (knock on wood) it's doing great now. Yes - it has mechanical filtration filters and I clean those every other day to keep the nitrates down, as well as keep the flow optimum. I have ceramic bio-media in there too, and I know that stuff is a nitrate factory. I plan on replacing that with a bag of LR rubble that I have sitting in the back compartment to get some good bacteria growth, and then replacing the ceramic media with the rubble, or just taking it all out and letting the live rock & substrate in the tank handle all the bio filtration. I know I'm pushing it on introducing livestock, but with the fully cured LR and additions of both Niitrobac bacteria and Bio-Spira I haven't seen any ammonia or nitrites and I test daily. Wish I had a Saltwater QT tank, & the room for it, but I don't so I've been lucky so far. No signs of ich, etc. and I have to keep my fingers crossed on that. I do a 2-3 hour acclimation on fish & inverts and I haven't lost anything yet and all the livestock is doing great. I do get all my stock at a fish only lfs near me that does a great job of keeping their fish healthy, and QTing them before sale, and I'm told they won't sell fish from a tank that looks questionable as far as the fish health in it. I pay a higher price but it adds a little bit of comfort that I'm hopefully not introducing any diseased fish. I'm about done with adding livestock now, except for getting some more Turbo & Nassarius snails - I need quite a few more of those for my cleanup crew. I know a few guys with the RSM unit that haven't had it much longer than me and their tanks are already full of fish, inverts and purchased corals & anemones. Their tanks look great, but I wonder if they'll stay that way with putting so much in so early. Time will tell I guess. On the live rock - I have almost as much invested in the rock as the tank cost. At time I think I need my head examined on getting into SW, but the expense is worth the rewards.

Radcliffe - thanks for the nice comments. There are lots of little living things on the rock that I've yet to identify, and I'm sure they'll be more with time. A lot are just too small to get a picture of. It really is interesting!

Terry

Mike

I know it's extremely difficult to get a tank set up and then have to wait to add stuff to it. But there are cycles that need to stabilize (nitrogen, algae) and adding things too quickly can make things drag out, stressing both you and the fish. I'm sure you've found out that it's way easier to treat fish in a qt tank than in the main tank and that treating them in the main tank could kill off many desirable organisms living in the rock. Just wanted to give you a heads up.

I've spent countless hours observing the live rock in my tank. Get a flash light when the lights are off at night and just kinda look around. You should start seeing some interesting organisms developing or coming out of hiding. Just last night I noticed some type of brown and white colored worm that initially looked to be about an inch long poking out of a hole in the rock. I shined the flash light in there and woah - this thing has to be about 4 inches long and it can "telescope" to reach around the opening of the hole in the rock. I couldn't leave the flash light on it or it would retreat back into the hole. I took some photos and I'll post them when I find out what type of worm it is. Cool stuff.

atmmachine816

Wow that's a nice looking tank. You sure do move fast, but I guess not too fast. Do you have any side shots of your tank.

You sure got lucky on those corals that came on your LR, where'd you get the LR from?

Terry

Hi. Moving fast but all is fine. Still never did see a cycle - only 5ppm nitrates so it must have been quick. I think the cured live rock and the Nitrobac and Bio-spira adds did that for me. Fish are fine - no signs of any disease, etc. and they're growing well. the fully cured live rock came from reefscience.com - about a 1-2 drive from me in NC, but I had it shipped overnight anyway. I may set up a 3 gallon Eclipse I have as a small Saltwater QT tank, if nothing else to treat anything that may show up.

ATM: No side shots of the tank yet - I really need to take a few!

Mike - I usually look in the tank most nights under the moonlights and I have seen some weird stuff in there. Kinda spooky & I expect something to jump out at me! The other night I saw some semi-transparent critter about 1/2 - 3/4 inch long swimming around - very thin body with 2 long antenna looking things on it. I put the flashlight on it to see it better & it was swimming around and would occasionally grab onto the rock for a minute with the long antenna type things, then let go & swim around again. Freaky & no way to get a picture of the thing. I also see a lot of little things poking out of the rock, some I can ID now, some I can't. I did find 4 ricordia yuma mushrooms on the new live rock - here's a pick of one. Still small - about 1/2 inch across:

Also several new what may be zoanthids or other polyps starting to appear on the rock, but too small yet to see what they'll become.

Lotta work, but a lotta fun too!

atmmachine816

Ok, glad to hear it. How much per lb. did you pay for your LR, you sure got some good stuff.

is creature on here

Terry

Nice website, Thanks atmmachine. Couldn't see anything on that site that looked like what I saw though. I guess I'll have to draw it & get a pic that way.

The Reefscience rock, figuring the overnight shipping in also, came out to about $8/lb. The guy gave me a reduced price of 6.25/lb instead of hist "list" price of 6.27. It doesn't all look like the pic on their website, but most of it has a lot of coralline on it, and some nice hitch hiker zoes, mushrooms & ricordias. Not the cheapest, but cheaper than the cured LR from my local Saltwater lfs, and a whole lot more coralline on it than the 2 local Saltwater lfs near me (their rock looked more like base rock than live rock). Reefscience does have a 25 lb. minimum order though. It arrived overnight in great shape, and had no smell, and I had no dieoff that I could tell, visually or by my test readings for ammonia and nitrite.

microbius

wow... the rock lifeforms are amazing I am now convinced I must have a salt tank ;D

Terry

ATM - here are the side shots you were asking for.

From left - no flash:

From right - no flash:

Front again - not much change from the other pic above - no flash:

Front - with the flash on:

Totally different look with the tank lights versus the flash. I think the actual appearance is between the two.

I've also had a lawnmower blenny (aka sailfin, aka eyelash blenny) for a couple weeks. He does a super job of keeping algae under control - on the glass mostly, but also on the rocks. Between the blenny & the turbos and my nassarius snails, my cleanup crew has really helped with the brown diatom (almost gone now) algae, and the green as well. I have some dried algae sheets to supplement the blenny's diet when needed. the blenny is really a neat fish - he looks a lot like a mudskipper, if you've ever seen those, and he can hang on the glass with his modified fins. Doesn't really swims - kinda hops around. There are times I look in the tank for him, can't find him, and find him staring at me right in front of me - very well camoflaged & looks like the rock! My wife calls him a walrus, and he does look like it from the front!

That's it for now.

armadillo

That tank looks great but such hard work! Please stop me if I even suggest getting into salt water.

Terry

armadillo said:
That tank looks great but such hard work! Please stop me if I even suggest getting into salt water.
Yep - it's a lot of work, but a lot of fun too! And before you think about it be prepared to spend a lot of $$$ too! Maybe that'll stop you! I need to get myself under control before I spend my retirement money LOL!

armadillo

Terry said:
armadillo said:
Yep - it's a lot of work, but a lot of fun too! And before you think about it be prepared to spend a lot of $$$ too! Maybe that'll stop you! I need to get myself under control before I spend my retirement money LOL!
Ah well. Nothing new there. I already spend stupid amounts of time and money considering it's 'not even' salt water and only 10G and 15G respectively.

Tom

Looks great. I am wanting to turn my 10 gallon freshwater into a saltwater and have a clown fish and an invert.
Tom

Terry

Wow, I haven't been here in a long time! Hard to believe how much different my tank looks now. I've upgraded my closed hood to a Current Outer Orbit HQI/T5 light fixture, pulled out the skimmer & replaced it with an AquaC Remora that works much better, installed some fans for cooling to avoid a chiller, added a Tunze Osmolator for auto top off, corals, etc. etc. The tank is no longer an all-in-one with one cord - I have a zillion cords, outlet strips, a lot of things on timers to simulate dawn, early morning, full sun, dusk, and night lighting, as well as when cooling fans come on, etc. Also hard to believe how much more $$$ I've sunk into this project. It's a lot of work, but still rewarding. Here's where I'm at now:

Just a couple of my corals:

The corals were doing great before I got the metal halide lighting, and they've grown even more since. Now I can think about getting some SPS or clams without worrying about not having enough light energy to keep them happy.

This is definitely an addiction!

agsansoo

Wow, what a difference three months makes ! Looks great. What's the wattage of the metal halide bulb ? Is it 10K ?

COBettaCouple

yea, the tank looks amazing!

capekate

WOWOWOW... So now I know what they mean by "Live Rock"!! That is an amazing transformation and too think, all those corals and live thingys...( you can tell I don't know much about Saltwater tanks..) were once dormant on the rock itself?? Your tank is beautiful really really gorgeous!

Terry

HI agsansoo. The 24 inch Outer Orbit has a 150W metal halide (10,000k), 2x24W 420 T5HO actinic, 2x24W T5HO 460 actinic, 6 blue and 6 white moonlight LEDs. The MH, T5, and both blue & white LEDs can all be controlled separately via switches or on timers.

Terry

capekate - not quite LOL. The majority of the corals were purchased. My live rock did come with some live corals on it, and many other small life forms, but a lot of the larger coral types are removed before, for separate sales, or die off during shipment to the rock suppliers, or during the "curing process" of the rock. Mine was unusually good in being fully cured and still having a lot of life on it. But there's a lot of $$$ in purchased corals in the tank - corals can be pretty expensive.

After about 5 months I still find new life form popping out of the rock - new little feather dusters, different types of tube worms, etc. I probably pay more attention to what's new on the rock than I do the fish!

COBettaCouple

yea, live rock is so interesting, I think i'd put as much as could fit in the tank if we did a Saltwater tank.

Terry

FLBettaCouple said:
yea, live rock is so interesting, I think i'd put as much as could fit in the tank if we did a Saltwater tank.
If you ever do go SW, keep in mind that a lot of the corals you buy often come on a piece of live rock, sometimes a substantial piece. I've gone from 50 lbs. LR to about 60lbs. now. If I had it to do over I would have added a bit less rock to start, knowing that more would be added with the coral additions later on. But, a lot of rock is good as the rock will handle most, if not all, of you nitrogen cycle, and even keep nitrates at zero or close to it, as the porous live rock, and the substate harbor a lot of anaerobic bacteria that consume nitrates and convert to nitrogen gas. I removed all of my ceramic biomedia a while back with no measurable ammonia or nitrites ever showing up. In Saltwater the normal types of bio-media are just nitrate generators, which you don't want for a lot of corals. It's a whole new ballgame versus FW!

COBettaCouple

yea.. that's why it'll probably be a while until we get a Saltwater tank. we want to be sure to do it right.

Tom

Looks great, good going Terry.
Tom

fishlover1

I really admire your tank it is so gorgeous! I would love to see more pictures.

Callum The Cat

wow that looks great must of cost u a lot I no the red sea max cost $1000-$1500 each and that's just the tank

Peace Out Callum!

capekate

Terry said:
capekate - not quite LOL. The majority of the corals were purchased. My live rock did come with some live corals on it, and many other small life forms, but a lot of the larger coral types are removed before, for separate sales, or die off during shipment to the rock suppliers, or during the "curing process" of the rock. Mine was unusually good in being fully cured and still having a lot of life on it. But there's a lot of $$$ in purchased corals in the tank - corals can be pretty expensive.

After about 5 months I still find new life form popping out of the rock - new little feather dusters, different types of tube worms, etc. I probably pay more attention to what's new on the rock than I do the fish!
HI Terry
thank you for explaining it to me. I really do not know anything about Saltwater tanks, set ups or the fish. BUT I do know what I find pleasing to the eye.. and that is a true Saltwater tank.. set up and fish!!! I can sit for hours in front of a Saltwater tank with live rock... coral.. and all the other fancy things that grow and move around in the tank, besides the fish. Your tank is gorgeous... and looking real good. Any chance of any videos on youtube?? I love checking out the Saltwater tanks there. The markings on the Saltwater fish are amazing! Natures paintbrush at its finest. ;D

passion3

skimmer

I have a 34gallon redsea max tank I want to know how u adjusted your skimmer. I'm getting a lot of air bubbles in the tank when the skimmer is off there is no bubble.

Terry

passion3 said:
I have a 34gallon redsea max tank I want to know how u adjusted your skimmer. I'm getting a lot of air bubbles in the tank when the skimmer is off there is no bubble.
Hi. I've been away a long time - sorry about not answering. I started a Red Sea Max (RSM) Club post elsewhere and the thread has gotten so large that it's had to be split 12-14 times already, with each split 40 pages. Keeps me busy!

On the skimmer, I replaced the skimmer shortly after I replaced the RSM hood. My RSM skimmer never really skimmed anything into the cup. Right now I'm running an AquaC Remora - a big hang on skimmer hung on the back lip of the tank - does a great job! I've also had a Tunze 9002 skimmer for months, that I may finally put in the back to see how that does. I have a lot of options to do things in the back without the closed hood on. Currently I'm running a cannister filter for my mechanical/chemical media filtration, and a Tunze ATO for top-off. I have DIY media basket made by someone else that will slip in under the gate, and I'll then remove the cannister, which even with weekly cleaning has had my nitrates increase (they were once at zero).

A lot of things have changed inside my tank too. I removed the huge top rock that was on top, and used it to set up a 9g Nanowave tank that I got a deal on. Using rock from the RSM gave me no measurable cycle in the little 9g tank, plus gave me room to put some smaller cured rock on top of the RSM rock, and allowed me to to try some new corals (SPS types).

The new 9g with the top rock (and corals) removed from the RSM. The flame angel will eventually go into the RSM, when the Foxface I got for the RSM (to totally eradicate Bryopsis algae) gets too big for the RSM:

Current RSM picture, with new SPS on top and a frag of orange montI cap that has already put on some new growth in about a week. I still have more corals on the way (superman montipora, red micromussa, and some green and blue duncans) to place in the tank after they arrive. The tank looked pretty ugly for a while, with a lot of cured, but white, lfs rock put on the top, to replace the big hunk I removed for the 9g tank. I'm starting to like it better with the green Acropora, pink stylophora, and orange montI that were put in a couple weeks ago:

Under my 420/460 actinics:

With the metal halide also on:

agsansoo

Tank progress is excellent. It's great see you around here again. How long have you had your Foxface ? How much has it grown ?

Terry

Hello again agansoo. I've had the foxface about 2-3 months now and thankfully it hasn't grown too fast - maybe about 3 inches now. I got it only as a last resort. After about 9-10 months of no algae I had Bryopsis algae start to show up, and it was starting to overgrow some of my zoa colonies. I'd pull it out manually, blow sediment out of the places it had a foothold, but it would just grow back. I tried the elevated magnesium levels (1600+) that some people have had success with. The Bryopsis started to lighten up in color, but I saw some negative effects on things like GSP not opening up, so I stopped the Mg additions and got the foxface. Within a week the foxface had eaten every piece of Bryopsis and I've had none since. Beautiful fish, and it eats anything I put in the tank like a hog - flake, pellet, mysis, dried algae, etc. It tries to eat from my hand when I submerse flake food in the tank, but I'm pretty quick since they do have venomous spines, and I don't want to get spiked by one! It's non-aggressive - it bothers none of my other fish, and the other fish don't bother it. If any of the other fish seem to threaten it, the foxface just extends all its fins, and leans in their direction, almost as if saying "here - bite this & you'll be sorry!". It used to be funny to watch, but it doesn't happen much anymore as the other fish have gotten used to the last addition to the tank now. The slower it grows the happier I'll be.

COBettaCouple

The tank is looking great!

Terry

HI COBettaCouple - thanks! It seems like I'm always changing something or adding some new coral or piece of equipment. Even a small tank takes a lot of maintenance, but it's worth it (I think LOL).

COBettaCouple

Yea, the work shows.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom