Finally have everything for the 50 gallon ready!

1. Phishphin

Phishphin Well Known Member Member

50 Gallon tempered glass bow front + stand
    406 Fluval canister
    300 watt eheim heater
    36" Finnex Ray 2 High PAR Daylight: 7000k Dual LED Strips
    3x pieces of Manzanita driftwood
    10lbs of Seiryu stone
    20lbs of Miracle Grow Organic potting mix
    60lbs of eco-complete

couple weeks before I've settled on the plants

a lot longer before the fish (although, without a doubt, 20 glowlights will be in there)

Pictures will come along shortly :)

2. tonycarder

tonycarder Valued Member Member

Thanks for the update

3. Harlebleondora

Harlebleondora Well Known Member Member

Nice equipment but isn't that 300w jager a bit too strong? I have a 100w on a 45 gallon and it keeps it at 26 degrees celsius, it is winter here right now and the room temperature in my little fish room is 15 degrees celsius.

4. OP
    OP
    Phishphin

Phishphin Well Known Member Member

It probably is a little overkill. The room gets really cold in our winter though so I wasn't exactly sure what I'd need. I think I read somewhere that a big heater on for a short period of time takes up less electricity than one that's on more regularly.

5. Dark Sky

Dark Sky Valued Member Member

I think the issue is more that if a bigger heater malfunctions, it'll cook your fish quicker (only know this through researching some heater faults of my own recently). If you've already got the equipment, there's probably no point changing it, but with two lower powered heaters, could you possibly slip the second one in for winter, then take it out when not needed? Anyway, like or said, moot point if you've already got the gear!