Finally got some!

mimo91088

I've been searching all over the state and I finally found my hillstream loaches. Picked up 5 nice size spotted sewellia SW01 today. So excited. I intend to make this a long term breeding project, so hopefully I got a mix of males and females but my eye is still untrained at sexing them so who knows. They weren't cheap so here's hoping I don't kill them lol. Wish me luck!
20201105_174424.jpg

Kribensis27

Love these guys! I just can’t find anywhere nearby that carries them.

mimo91088

Kribensis27 said:
Love these guys! I just can’t find anywhere nearby that carries them.
That's why I chose them as a project. I had to hunt far and wide too. But they're such beautiful fish. I really wish they were more readily available in the hobby and not this expensive so that more hobbyists can keep them.

V1K

mimo91088 said:
I intend to make this a long term breeding project, so hopefully I got a mix of males and females but my eye is still untrained at sexing them so who knows.
My uneducated guess is the the top one is female and the one underneath is male, but no idea about the rest. I came here to create a thread about it, but maybe I can just post it here so I don't clutter the forum: can anyone help me sex these guys? There's 2 more somewhere, but couldn't get a clear picture of them. It looks so easy on tutorials, but in reality they all look like some intermediate case.

mimo91088

I wish I knew! I'm still trying to get a clear understanding of what these "fences" on males are supposed to look like.

AcornTheBetta

Nice!

V1K

mimo91088 said:
I wish I knew! I'm still trying to get a clear understanding of what these "fences" on males are supposed to look like.
Yeah, I'm too confused about "fences", where am I supposed to look? Could comeone make a diagram with arrows or red circles or something.

mimo91088

V1K said:
Yeah, I'm too confused about "fences", where am I supposed to look? Could comeone make a diagram with arrows or red circles or something.
As I understand it, it's like raised flesh bumps on the snout and first few fin rays. But there's not a lot of good pictures out there. I wish I knew a breeder that has experience with these guys. So many questions.

Leeman75

Those are so cool!! Congrats on the new fishies!!

mimo91088

I went there originally for sewellia lineolata, but found these guys as well for a bit more. These guys are a bit more reclusive than lineolata. I'm debating going back for a group of those as well for a nice activity level. But I don't know if hybridization is a risk. My instinct says no, but I haven't come across anything about it in my research yet so I have no idea.

AggressiveAquatics

Queasy

Always rewarding when you finally find the fish you're looking for! They look great, congrats .

mimo91088

AggressiveAquatics said:
Do these guys need drift wood like plecos?
It doesn't hurt, but im not using any. They'll graze aufwuchs off it, but the wood itself is not part of their diet. In nature they live in rocky streams and eat mostly biofilm and insect larva.

AggressiveAquatics

mimo91088 said:
It doesn't hurt, but im not using any. They'll graze aufwuchs off it, but the wood itself is not part of their diet. In nature they live in rocky streams and eat mostly biofilm and insect larva.
Thanks I was thinking about starting a 40 gallon community tank and these guys might be in it.

mimo91088

Well I already lost one over the weekend so this doesn't bode well. But this one had stayed out in the open separated from the group and didn't move around much. No signs of illness and parameters are stable (they went in an established tank). I'm thinking he just didn't handle the transition well so I still have high hopes for the others. I might go pick up a couple more this week if there are any left at the store. 4 is like the bare minimum I want for a group, so my insurance is gone now.

V1K

mimo91088 said:
Well I already lost one over the weekend so this doesn't bode well.
Sorry to hear that. Hopefully it was just one weak individual. My Sewelias are doing fine so far, all accounted for (good thing I've learned to recognize them by their patterns, because it's hard to see them all at once and they keep moving around). The only thing I'm worried about is whether they get enough food, because they live with rosy barbs. I made a pile of stones and thought, I'll just throw food in it, no way barbs are going to go inside of a stone pile. Well, I was wrong. Trying to feed them right before I switch the lights off, but I'm not sure barbs aren't active at night, or that Sewelias are. I hope barbs grow a bit larger soon so they can't fit between the stones, it would make things easier.

mimo91088

V1K said:
Sorry to hear that. Hopefully it was just one weak individual. My Sewelias are doing fine so far, all accounted for (good thing I've learned to recognize them by their patterns, because it's hard to see them all at once and they keep moving around). The only thing I'm worried about is whether they get enough food, because they live with rosy barbs. I made a pile of stones and thought, I'll just throw food in it, no way barbs are going to go inside of a stone pile. Well, I was wrong. Trying to feed them right before I switch the lights off, but I'm not sure barbs aren't active at night, or that Sewelias are. I hope barbs grow a bit larger soon so they can't fit between the stones, it would make things easier.
I'm not sure about lineolata, but the SW01 seem to get much more active after lights out.

mimo91088

20201107_171622.jpg

V1K

This one looks a lot like my Dax (the only one in my group with small spots like these, the others have larger spots and patterns).

mimo91088

V1K said:
This one looks a lot like my Dax (the only one in my group with small spots like these, the others have larger spots and patterns).
The pattern is the main difference between these and lineolata. Size too. These guys are a little bigger.

V1K

mimo91088 said:
The pattern is the main difference between these and lineolata. Size too. These guys are a little bigger.
Maybe I got one of different species/form by accident or seller's ignorance. Size is the same for now, but could be just age difference.

mimo91088

V1K said:
Maybe I got one of different species/form by accident or seller's ignorance. Size is the same for now, but could be just age difference.
Do you have a pic of that one?

V1K

mimo91088 said:
Do you have a pic of that one?
Ok I guess the dots aren't THAT small, but they're significantly smaller than the rest. I had to work hard to learn individual differences between the rest, but this one was obvious.

mimo91088

I just got 3 more, bringing my total group up to 7 if they all survive.

V1K

I found out mine really like frozen peas with skins removed. That's the only veggie so far that they find worthwhile going out of their comfort zone and stealing from under barbs' noses. The suspected SE01 is especially enthusiastic. You might want to try them if you haven't yet.

CannonsFish

mimo91088 said:
I've been searching all over the state and I finally found my hillstream loaches. Picked up 5 nice size spotted sewellia SW01 today. So excited. I intend to make this a long term breeding project, so hopefully I got a mix of males and females but my eye is still untrained at sexing them so who knows. They weren't cheap so here's hoping I don't kill them lol. Wish me luck!
those look really cool and I would love to get some of those

I hope your breeding prject goes well

mimo91088

V1K said:
I found out mine really like frozen peas with skins removed. That's the only veggie so far that they find worthwhile going out of their comfort zone and stealing from under barbs' noses. The suspected SE01 is especially enthusiastic. You might want to try them if you haven't yet.
I haven't tried that yet but I'll have to give it a shot!

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom