Finally Got My Stocking Started

1. a

ajgravedigger13 Member Member

I have a pretty mature 55 gallon tank and I have 10 giant danios and 6 pearl Danios. I also got a rainbow cichlid, a Firemouth cichlid and an EBA. My question is how long should I give my cichlids to adjust so I can feed them? I tried today and they just stayed at the bottom and hid from me which I expected would happen at first. Do those fish feed best from the bottom at first? Do I need to get bigger sinking pellets?

2. goplecos

goplecos Well Known Member Member

I'm sorry I can't help with the Cichlids but you have some serious stocking issues. Once the Cichlids come out they will eat the CPDs so I would rehome them.

3. OP
    OP
    a

CPD's?

4. OP
    OP
    a

You're thinking of a way different fish. I have pearl Danios not celestial pearl Danios

5. goplecos

Oh sorry about that, but Pearl Danios are still too small imo. Also the Giant Danios are a semi aggressive fish and will pick on Pearl Danios.

6. OP
    OP
    a

They've been doing just fine in a mixed group. If anything happens I'll take care of the pearl Danios. Thanks though :).

7. goplecos

I'm not sure about the EBA but the Firemouth would prefer sinking pellets.

8. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

I would keep a close eye on the tank , imo 3 species of top/middle cichlids in a 55g is asking for problems. Normaly in a 55g you can do 2 top/middle cichlids and 1 bottom dwelling cichlid such as rams or apisto.

but to answer your question when did you get them? sometimes it can take fish a few days to come out to eat. What are you feeding them? IME sinking pellets are best. I currently have a EBA and Rainbow cichlid.

9. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

The stock is fine. I use shrimp pellets to feed my cichlids, and I've kept all of the ones you are talking about here.

10. OP
    OP
    a

Havent had any issues so far and I'll take a small pinch of pellets and put it on the substrate then they'll come out and eat. I noticed that works best for me so far