Finally Got My Shell Dweller Tank

PLECO657

Okay, so for the past few months I've been planning to set up a 55 gallon shell dweller tank and I finally got everything today. I've got about an inch and a half of pool filter sand, and a mix of about 40 escargot and assorted shells ranging in different sizes. For my filter, I only have a top fin hang on back filter rates for my tank size but I plan to eventually get a fluval 406, I think it should be fine considering shell dwellers are quite small. For lighting I made what the king of DIY did for his "supercharged lighting". What species of shell dweller would people recommend and how many I should get for this tank?

Coradee

We have a few Shellie keeping members, hope they can help you today

bigdreams

I have had my eye on shell dwellers for a while, but don't have any yet. I currently have a 55 gallon community tank, I think my next tank would be a single species only tank. I like the multies (neolamprogus multifaciatus). They form a colony, are well behaved, and are relatively hardy. I think there a more colorful version, forgot the name... In any case, a 55 is pretty tall tank for these fish. You will have lots of empty swimming room at top of tank of you only keep shell dwellers. A 40 gallon breeder may be better, plenty of room. Not sure how many to get... Maybe 12 to start, lots of shells, they should multiply pretty quickly.

MJDuti

Very nice. You lookin to breed exclusively or have a community tank?

PLECO657

I'm gonna be breeding exclusively, I breed BN plecos for my LFS and they told me that they rarely get shell dwellers in but quite a few people ask for them. So I told them I could breed for them.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Rye3434
Replies
Views
IHaveADogToo
Replies
Views
Flyfisha
Replies
Views