Finally got frozen bloodworms for my Betta, but have some questions

tapwater

Finally bought some bloodworms for the first time for my Betta yesterday, and fed a few of them to him this morning since all he’s been eating lately are omega one pellets. He seemed to really love them! I do have some questions after I fed him some though.
  • What would be a good portion size of frozen bloodworms for a Betta? 1-3? 3-6? I think I have my Betta too much this time, I think I have him like 5 worms (I thought I was only giving him three, but I guess I ended up picking up more with my tweezers by accident)
  • How often should I be feeding them to him? I’ve read that I should only feed him frozen bloodworms around once or twice a week, but I just wanted to verify with y’all on that.
  • The frozen bloodworms I bought came in individual packs. Once I open one, does the expiration date change? Or would it still be 6 months, as I’ve read on other sites online.
  • Should I rinse off the bloodworms before I give them to my Betta? I didn’t this time around, but I noticed there’s some liquid they are held in. Should I have rinsed them first, just to reduce risk of contamination of some sort? And if so, how should I rinse them? In tap or old aquarium water / treated water?
  • Is it possible that my Betta could start rejecting pellets and only want to eat bloodworms after giving them to him?
Any help with these questions would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Attachments

• 9EC2FCE6-3E15-402B-B33E-41EFCF1DF014.jpeg
    9EC2FCE6-3E15-402B-B33E-41EFCF1DF014.jpeg
    816.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 4B104D33-8FCE-4138-BFF4-4DAA82BAE42D.jpeg
    4B104D33-8FCE-4138-BFF4-4DAA82BAE42D.jpeg
    252.4 KB · Views: 15

AggressiveAquatics

I feed mine about 6 bloodworms but don’t feed him pellets.
I do once every 1-2 weeks so he doesn’t get hooked
One you open one of the packets it will expire quicker but one pack shouldn’t last you more than like 3 months
I don’t rinse my blood worms off and I’ve never had any ill affects
And he only want bloodworms if you feed them to often

Upvote 0

faywayway

I have these same packs and feed my guy 3 in the morning and 3 at night, once a week. Feeding more than 2X a week can cause constipation and illness.
I've heard that their stomachs are only about the size of their eye so personally I wouldn't feed mine more than 5 at a time.
What I do after I open and thaw them is just keep them in the fridge, or keep them frozen and just cut off small portions for each feeding. I wouldn't refreeze if you're going to thaw.
I don't think you need to rinse them. I don't, and if it doesn't say anything about it anywhere on the bag it's more than likely fine.
Again with the frequency, I only feed my betta blood worms and a few other types of frozen food each week and feed pellets about twice a week, leaving one fast day to help w digestion. He still eats pellets when I offer, so as long as you continue to feed pellets as well he shouldn't get picky.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
kinsey12345
  • Question
Replies
Views
SouthAmericanCichlids
  • Question
Replies
Views