Finally Got Co2 Again

Discussion in 'Plant CO2' started by smee82, Jun 19, 2019.

1. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

I havent been able to buy CO2 for the last 2 and a half months but they finally started selling it again.

So i drained the sump and gave it a clean and added some new filter matting and threw away some of the festered old stuff before setting the CO2 back up

My plants took a pretty bad hit and weren't looking good. I completely lost a heap of plants. The vals are melting, s.repens are disappearing the riccia and dwarf sag is dying and everything is covered in aglae. The only thing not affected is the susswusertang wall other then being infested with hair algae.

Luckily ive only got 3 more exams to give tomorrow and them im on 8 weeks holidays and can do some serious work on it.

Now i just need to find somewhere new thats selling dry ferts so i can get everything good again and stop using crappy liquid ferts

Attached Files:

2. FiskerValued MemberMember

Nice tank! I don't have the patience or skill for a scape like that!

3. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

Thanks. It looks pretty bad at the moment but its fixable.

I will lose about a 3rd of my plant mass including whats died off after i finish trimming and replanting but it should grow back nice.

Fingers crossed the s.repens bounces back as it took forever to find some here and it looked good carpeting the right front.

4. mohicanNew MemberMember

Green Leaf Aquariums (GLA) sells good and inexpensive dry ferts.  

5. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

Yes but they dont sell it in china

6. fa4960Well Known MemberMember

As you like me don't live in the US or Europe many of the dry ferts recommendations on here are unfortunately of little use to us, not disregarding the good spirit in which they are given.....

I don't know what your local options there are in China but I can see that most of the fertilizer chemicals I buy here in Thailand originates from China so I would think you should have options? Maybe Aliexpress or some of the other online options? Here I can use Lazada.co.th but it is not the cheapest option. I started buying from Hydroponics suppliers until I found their source and started buying where they buy from. I also got some of it from a company supplying food producers. Depending on your needs you can pick and choose from my list below and see what you can get.

GH/KH Booster
    MgSO4.7H2O Magnesium Sulfate heptahydrate
    CaSO4.2H2O Calcium Sulfate dihydrate (Gypsum)
    Micros
    ZnSO4.H2O Zinc (II) Sulfate
    CuSO4.5H2O Copper (II) Sulfate
    MnSO4.H2O Manganese (II) Sulfate
    H3BO3 Boric Acid
    Na2MoO4.2H2O Sodium molybdate dihydrate
    DTPA Fe 7% DTPA 7% Iron chelate
    NiSO4.6H2O Nickel (II) Sulfate
    Macros
    K2SO4 Potassium sulfate
    KH2PO4 Potassium dihydrogenphosphate
    KNO3 Potassium Nitrate
    Preservation (To prevent mould in micro solutions - not needed if you dry dose)
    C6H7KO2 Potassium Sorbate

There obviously alternatives to some of these chemicals but be sure to find alternatives that are listed in the rotalabutterfly,com nutrient calculator, otherwise calculations get difficult. For the above chemicals I have replicated the RB calculator into a Excel spreadsheet to get me a nice easy way to do the calculation relevant for me in one single place, as well as a nice printout that's easy to follow when I make up my solutions. Happy to share them with you if you wish, but I would suggest to try to get the chemicals first. In some cases you may end up with way more than you need, e.g. I had to buy 1 kg of Zinc Sulfate despite only needing 0.20g per dose, however the majority of these are cheap so I didn't mind.

I have now found my go to suppliers but it took some search work so dig in there and I am sure you will succeed...