Finally Finishing Boris Karloff's Home

Georgie Girl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
This is my first aquarium, and has been running for about three weeks.

I finally got enough substrate to fix up Boris's tank properly. I'm going to plant the plants, too.

Would you please give me a little advice? It's a five-gallon tank. Some room is taken up by the sponge filter. I have to distribute the plants. (I think this is way too many plants for a small tank.) And I have to decide on what to give Boris for hiding: driftwood or coconut? They won't both fit. The driftwood doesn't provide complete concealment; is that ok for a Betta? But it looks better.

Any advice is welcome. Thanks!

PS After looking over the posts in a few other forums (fora?), I decided this didn't fit in any of those. So here it is.
20180424_174536.jpg
20180424_174423.jpg

DanniD

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Very cute start! Is your tank cycled and do you have a heater? Betta need warm water at 80F

The more plants the better too so I would t worry about that. He’ll be a happy betta with all those hiding spots

Georgie Girl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Algonquin said:
Can we see a pic of the driftwood?
Alas, it's at home and I'm not. I'll post it tonight.

Ddelpinal said:
Very cute start! Is your tank cycled and do you have a heater? Betta need warm water at 80F

The more plants the better too so I would t worry about that. He’ll be a happy betta with all those hiding spots
Still cycling. I have a tiny little preset heater, and the tank hovers at 79-80.

Algonquin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Even though I haven't seen it, I'd tend to lean toward the driftwood, it's more natural looking than the coconut cave. If the wood has some nooks he can hide in/under, that would probably be fine - especially since you've got lots of plants. You can always attach some moss to the wood to give him some more cover
What kind of substrate are you going to put in?

BobNJerry

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i think if a betta is comfy they don't need to hide. i like the driftwood better because it releases natural tannins in the water which is good for your betta.

i don't know if the coconut does the same but i'm sure if it does someone will swiftly correct me! LOL!

and what?!?!? too many plants! in my book you can't have too many plants haha!!

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Coconuts release tannins too. Either the shell or the driftwood would make him happy, I'm sure!

I would recommend repotting the plants into larger, terra cotta pots for the long term - you can use sand with root tabs, soil capped with sand, or a plant-specific aquarium substrate in the pots. That setup looks like it will prevent nutrients from getting to the roots and might suffocate the roots.

Georgie Girl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Algonquin said:
What kind of substrate are you going to put in?
It's Caribsea Super Naturals Tahitian Moon (oooh!). It's a fine gravel, close to sand-like. It's black. With the green plants and the black backing I'm going to put on, I think it'll look kinda nice.

Is the forum going to slam me for my substrate choice? :emoji_cold_sweat:

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Not at all, but there are cheaper options that we would recommend over that one, just because of the price

BobNJerry

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Georgie Girl said:
It's Caribsea Super Naturals Tahitian Moon (oooh!). It's a fine gravel, close to sand-like. It's black. With the green plants and the black backing I'm going to put on, I think it'll look kinda nice.

oh boy to be afraid you're going to get slammed for the wrong substrate is not a good feeling!

i have the same set up in my tank, black gravel, black background and live plants- you'll be really happy with that!

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Georgie Girl said:

If anyone here chooses to slam you about anything I am sure there are enough of us here to make sure it doesn't happen again. In other words "We've gotcha back sweetie"

I am really looking forward to seeing the complete set up. I feel sure it is going to not only look outstanding but will also be very comfortable for Boris. Like others, I look forward to seeing the tank with driftwood and substrate.

Georgie Girl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
mattgirl said:
If anyone here chooses to slam you about anything I am sure there are enough of us here to make sure it doesn't happen again. In other words "We've gotcha back sweetie"

I am really looking forward to seeing the complete set up. I feel sure it is going to not only look outstanding but will also be very comfortable for Boris. Like others, I look forward to seeing the tank with driftwood and substrate.
Thanks, mattgirl. I'm glad the collective you, the faithful of Fishlore, has my back.

I should have pictures posted on Sunday afternoon. I hope you catch the thread.

Georgie Girl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Algonquin said:
Can we see a pic of the driftwood?
Darn it, Algonquin, I forgot to post a picture. I'm sorry. It's just a small piece, about six inches long. You'll be able to see it in the finished tank this weekend.

Georgie Girl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Algonquin said:
The suspense is killing us here...
Algonquin, I'm sorry. I decided not to put in the driftwood after all. It's too big for the aquarium. I still haven't taken any pictures of the aquarium. I don't like how it looks, but I'm not sure what I can do about it.

Algonquin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
No need to apologize! I'm just curious to see how your tank is going.
One of the great things about Fishlore is getting lots of different perspectives on how to besst set up your tank! Post a pic when you can, and I'm sure you'll get some great feedback!
And re the driftwood being too big... nothing a saw wouldn't fix! lol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom