Finally discovered it is a girl

awilkinson871

I got my turquoise jewel cichlid back in March and have always wondered if it was male or female. I assumed female as it grew because it had a rounded belly but it ate ALOT so it just could have been fat. The last week or so the face and throat have been very bright red/orange. Today I watched as she repeatedly brushed her body over a piece of slate in the tank and dropped tiny little eggs onto it. First time I ever actually saw a fish dropping eggs. She does not have a mate so the eggs are infertile and the convicts are eating them every time she swims away. She really doesn't even seem to mind. I was amazed that I actually got to get an answer to the sex and got to watch the eggs being laid.

UmNick

That's so cool! Any plans to get a few more to try and pair them up for breeding?

awilkinson871

That's so cool! Any plans to get a few more to try and pair them up for breeding?
No way. They are super hard to sex unless they lay eggs or you vent them. They are also SUPER aggressive when spawning and have been known to wipe out a tank when spawning. I don't plan on setting up another tank and I wouldn't have anywhere for babies to go if they grew.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
richiep
Replies
Views
Yeoy
Replies
Views
Rose of Sharon
Replies
Views