finally convinced her.

1. S

STLBluesFan Valued Member Member

so, i finally convinced my wife to let me get a 75 gallon tank, and i want to do a cichlid tank. so im going to list all the fish that i would want, and you give me a stocking list, that may, or may not include all of them.

blood parrots
    Angel Fish
    Convicts
    Jewel cichlids
    cockatoo cichlids
    german blue rams
    peacock cichlids
    kenyi cichlids
    electric blue cichlids
    acei cichlids
    zebra cichlids

2. Gordinian

Gordinian Well Known Member Member

Well first you need to decide if you want african or central american cichlids. Then we can cut your list in half :)

3. OP
    OP
    S

well, could you tell me the difference in them? i know that i would want more than 2-3 fish, so the smaller variety, and i would not want to have babies, so maybe fish that can be kept as the only of thier species in the tank.

4. Gordinian

Generally, africans are more aggressive than central american cichlids, and it's usually frowned upon to mix the two kinds. If you wanted a little more action in your tanks, I'd go with africans. If you want a relatively more peaceful tank, go with the central americans. (Not that all centrals are peaceful)

The africans on your list are the peacocks, kenyi, electric blue, acei, and zebra cichlids. The rest are central american.

5. OP
    OP
    S

ok, then ill say ill go with central american

blood parrots
    Angel Fish
    Convicts
    Jewel cichlids
    cockatoo cichlids
    german blue rams

6. Gordinian

In that case, I'll have to leave this thread open to other members, as I'm an african cichlid girl ;)

7. OP
    OP
    S

i have found, in the area where i live, it can be hard to find the african cichlids, the others are easier to find for me

8. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I would be a little worried about the convicts being a bit too aggressive for the others, I may be wrong as I am just barely dipping my toes into the cichlid waters still.

9. L

Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

Well here are the stock list for 2 of my tanks they would fit your decription:

2 angelfish
    2 bolivain rams ( could be swaped out for the GBRs or cockatoos)
    5 platies
    10 kerri tetras ( lots of other schoolers could be substituted)
    8 harliquin rasboras ( same a kerris, can be swaped for different schoolers, or just do 1 larger school)
    7 panda cories ( other cories would work)
    3 amano shrimp
    2 nerite snails
    1 clown pleco

2. This is what I plan for my blood parrots

2 blood parrots
    2 bolivian rams
    15 harliquin rasboras( My bps are juvies, hoping the harlequins will have lived out their lifespan by the time the bps can eat them, then plan to replace them with a suitable rainbowfish school.)
    6 yoyo loaches
    1 L239 or L200 pleco

10. F

Fish Monger Valued Member Member

I don't know anything about the parrots and cockatoos...sound like birds:) The angels and rams are relatively peaceful. The convicts and the jewels are aggressive. So if your other choices fit in with either of those pairings, give that a try. Note that the rams are dwarf cichlids and really couldn't tolerate big boisterous tank mates that occupy the same level of the tank. There are all kinds of combinations you could try. Naturally, a cichlid tank is never going to be the soul of tranquility. You have to combine fish that can hold their own.

11. L

12. OP
    OP
    S

well, after thinking about it a while., i was thinking, 2 blood parrots, 2 angel fish, 2 rams, and a bristle nose pleco. im not completely sure if that would be overstock, and if it is, i could just do 1 angel fish. or just 1 blood parrot

13. Gordinian

I believe I remember reading somewhere on fishlore that BPs cannot be housed with angels. I'll see if I can find the thread. The BPs defend themselves/bully by pushing other fish-sometimes into the sides of tanks. Because angels have flat bodies, they can take some damage. I would think rams would be too small for this mix, but again, I'm not an expert on CA cichlids :) The BN, though, would be good.

Do you want only cichlids in this tank, or are you willing to add some non-cichlids? If you want only cichlids, members would be able to give you better lists.

Edit: Here's what the thread was called- 2 Blood Red Parrot Cichlid and 2 Angels
    I'm not sure how to link it up, sorry!

14. L

Angels and blood parrots is usually not a good combo, for exactly the reasons dolphinlover stated. Rams and angels are a good mix though, and the BN should work with blood parrots or angels and rams.

15. OP
    OP
    S

yeah, i only want cichlids, and i dont really want any schooling fish. so no tetras, cories, platies, anything like that, sorry lexi lol, i would like all the fish to get at least 3 inches.

16. L

If you want all cichlids maybe reconcider the africans? We where planning a kenyi/ bumblebee cichlid tank but changed our minds( they have a Huge selection of africans at Tropical world pets) .

17. OP
    OP
    S

hmm, maybe i could do 4 angels, and 6 rams? or is that too many? the thing is that im not real knowledgable about the africans, so my nervousness sake, i would be more comfortable about the americans cichlids, cuz i have kept, or know people who have personally kept them, so maybe ill read up on africans, and see what i can find out and see if i can get comfortable enough with them to the point and that i could keep them happy in a tank, and i would not want constant fighting and bickering in the tank either, so i would want a more peacful tank

18. OP
    OP
    S

so far from my reading on africans, i like the kenyi, jewel, and zebra.. but i notice the jewel needs much cooler temps. so as of now, i like the kenyi and zebra. can those go together? and if they can, what else can?

19. L

20. OP
    OP
    S

so it seems that zebra cichlids are rather hard to figure out the sex. maybe i could do 1 male kenyi, 3 female kenyi. 1 zebra, 1 male convict, 3 female convict