finally...........bought a big tank!!!!

Neville

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
hi dudes ;D,

i am a real fish enthusiast, i've started only six months ago but really begining to like this hobby. bought a brand new 75 gallon tank, it cost me Tk.25000(more than US$350). i'm cycling it now. didn't make up my mind yet what kind of fish i'm going to keep....but my first choice is angel like oscars too, but they r a lil' bit costly for me and i've heard they can b aggressive. ........please help me............. how many angels should i keep in this tank? do u guys think a pleco will do fine with angels? should i keep a common pleco or a bristlenose? though bristlenose r rare in my city. saw some beautiful 6 inch angels yesterday at the nearest shop. i like fake plants more than live ones.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Congrats! You'll love your 75 gallon tank Get Angelfish instead of the Oscar. You can have a few Angelfish in a 75 gallon tank, but Oscars ... you could have only one in a 75 gallon tank. Besides, with Oscars you need frequent and large water changes ... so unless you're willing to do that in a 75 gallon tank ... better get some Angels instead.

I suppose you could have around 6 Angels in a 75 gallon tank, but I personally will have only 2 Angelfish in my 75 gallon tank. If you get an Angelfish pair, they'll be happy together, just the 2 of them. If you get more Angels, there is always a possibility that you'll get 1 or 2 mated pairs, and the rest of the Angels without a mate will be bothered by the mated pairs. Mated pairs breed regularly, and when they breed, they become more aggressive than usual (trying to protect the breeding site and their babies), especially towards other Angelfish. So, you need to be careful with that.

Of course, remember to CYCLE the tank first! And do not overstock! Good luck

Neville

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i also thought of getting one or two pairs. but how do u distinguish between a male and a fenale angel? can i keep two pairs please??!! can i keep a common pleco with them?

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
neville said:
i also thought of getting one or two pairs. but how do u distinguish between a male and a fenale angel? can i keep two pairs please??!! can i keep a common pleco with them?
You cannot tell apart a male from a female Angel until they start breeding. When a pair has formed, the 2 Angels will usually swim together and when they're ready to breed, a male will develop a pointed/sharp breeding tube while a female will develop a more rounded and thicker breeding tube. During the egg-laying time, the female deposits the eggs on a clean surface and the male follows her fertilizing the eggs with his breeding tube.

I suppose you can have 2 Angelfish pairs in a 75 gallon tank, space-wise. But I cannot promise you that they all won't fight during breeding times. If you really want 2 mated pairs in your tank, at least provide them with a LOT of hiding places in your tank, so that you minimize the chances of fighting.

I never had a Common Pleco, so I don't know. But I think people keep Plecos in a 75 gallon tank. You should better ask someone who is experienced with Common Plecos. But ... why would you need such a large Pleco anyway? There are much smaller algae eaters that will clean your tank and will produce much less wastes (which also means you'll have cleaner water).

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom