Finally Added My First Fish

1. Shawn3210

Shawn3210 Initiate Member

So took about two weeks but finally cycled. Cycled with ammonia and stability. Added 7 lemon tetras a few days ago, all my numbers were good. Pretty much 0 across the board. Today I checked again and everything was good but nitrates were super high like over 80. So I did a water change and added api stress coat. I been adding flourish to my tank so not sure if that's why my nitrates sky rocketed.

Here's my little guys
    image2.jpeg

Here's my nitrates after the water change.....also my ph is at 7.6
    image1.jpeg

2. ColmC

ColmC Member Member

Nice shoal.

Keep doing the WC and it will settle, be the new bio load.

Looks to have gone down a lot from the pic already

3. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Great! :) I would do another water change soon, then you'll be good to go!

4. OP
    OP
    Shawn3210

Thanks guys. I’ll do another one tomorrow. Was planning on getting 4 more tetras and a couple corries tomorrow.

I had some question about food....I plan on stocking 10 lemon tetra 10 corries 1 pleco 2 gbr and maybe one more fish....

Right now I have nls Thera a small pellet. Was thinking about getting nls optimum flakes, algae wafers, bug bites, blood worms, veggie rounds, and freeze dried brine shrimp to alternate the diet.

5. ColmC

ColmC Member Member

Yeah you can still get fish as your nitrates will get lower with another water change

I have wafers, brine shrimp, small chichlid pellets and bloodworms as have Bolivian rams and BN Pleco in my set up

Oh and catfish pellets for my cories

6. OP
    OP
    Shawn3210

Thanks!

So came home today to one dead lemon tetra. It was stuck on the filter....the other fishes looked ok. Gil movement seems normal. Ammonia and nitrite were 0 my nitrate did sky rocket again. Did another water change just now. I think I’m over feeding them which is contributing to the high nitrate levels. How many pellets do you guys normally give?

7. leftswerve

leftswerve Well Known Member Member

JIC IMO at that level of nitrates you need to be doing 50% water changes. At least

8. ColmC

ColmC Member Member

Yh keep doing the water changes and it will decrease each time abc your nitrates will be stable

I think that was an accident then your parameters

9. Hunter1

Hunter1 Well Known Member Member

Try fasting your fish a day after you do your water change.

Do a 50%, test, fast for another day and test again.

Your nitrates should stay the same/close unless you have a lot of food rotting on the bottom.

10. Dch48

Dch48 Well Known Member Member

Have you ever tested your tap water? It may have Nitrates in it.

11. OP
    OP
    Shawn3210

Yeah everything 0 in my tap.

That’s what my lfs told me basically feed them one day then don’t. I checked my nitrates it’s down to 20 right now.

I got it down to 20 but lost another lemon tetra during the water change. Lfs said to wait a few more days for everything to stabilize before adding anymore fish. I’m going to feed them every other day once. Trying to learn not to overfeed. Im use to a dog that would eat everything lol.

12. theazrael

theazrael Initiate Member

When you do your water changes, when possible, make sure to pull water from the bottom of the tank where old food or fish deterious will land.

13. OP
    OP
    Shawn3210

I picked up a siphon to help with that. Idk why but my python doesn’t seem to get a good enough suction

14. d

danhutchins Member Member

Pick yourself up a Python for doing water changes and gravel vacs. I used just a regular old siphon for a while but the Python is so much better you will never use a siphon again.

15. Dch48

Dch48 Well Known Member Member

Gee, I just use a long piece of standard airline tubing. But I only change one gallon so it's okay.

You have to hook the python up to a faucet? That's a no-go here.

16. OP
    OP
    Shawn3210

I actually have a python haha it just wasn’t getting good enough suction. Did another small water change today and it seemed to suck up debris a lot better. My nitrates were at 20 ppm before the water change.