Final stocking plan...advice/suggestions before moving forward?

Melissac584

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
UPDATED AT 9:50 ET based on suggestions/advice - this is updated list. Thanks.

Ok, so I have a 50 Long (48.5" Long x 12.7" Deep x 18.8" High) that is cycled and in process of stocking with fish and live plants.

Right now in the tank I have 4 platties/mollies, 10 neon tetras, 5 zebra danios, 3 male guppies and MTS/Mystery snails. I'm working on planting java ferns and amazon swords. I also have christmas and java moss.

Here's my stocking plan (in addition to those already in the tank - many thanks to Jaysee who helped me pick the fish):
2 more neon tetras to make a school of 12
8 dwarf neon rainbows
5 zebra loaches
1 blue dwarf gourami
2 GBR's
2 more zebra danios to make a total of 7
Killies.....how many?

Is this enough, not enough, just right?

Thanks!

P.S. if necessary, I'm willing to move some of the fish currently in my 50 to my 10 gallon.

JoannaB

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Have you considered adding one or two more zebra danios? Zebra danios can get stressed if they don't have enough members in the school to spread out their aggression / dominance games among. If you have five and they are fine in that school size, it's ok, but I think adding one or two more just in case may be better.

OP
Melissac584

Melissac584

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
JoannaB said:
Have you considered adding one or two more zebra danios? Zebra danios can get stressed if they don't have enough members in the school to spread out their aggression / dominance games among. If you have five and they are fine in that school size, it's ok, but I think adding one or two more just in case may be better.
Thanks for the advice. How about 7 of them? Do you think that is good enough?

OP
Melissac584

Melissac584

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Bump......going to LFS tomorrow, need to finalize my plan as they may need to order some for me. Thanks to all

rcarp

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
definitely add more danios. how about a few cory cats. I think they're entertaining and pretty cool! excited for you as you stock your tank. good luck and...

here's to great fishkeeping...

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Do you mean German rams or Bolivian rams? They're different I'd get a few more rainbows too. Killies are small and you should be able to add a couple. I'm not familiar with gudgeons though.

bankruptjojo

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
so...

6 rainbows
5 zebra loaches
1 DG
4 BR's
7 danios
4 platys
10 neons
and snails

I feel like that is a lil overstocked so deff don't add anymore fish. do you want to keep the 10 gallon running? I guess if you don't want to move any of these to the 10 gallon they can fit them in the 50g. just keep the tank extra clean and watch for aggression. what kind of filter do you have, I would get a canister soon as possible.

if you want to keep the 10 gallon going you could move the guppies and neons to the 10g. honestly with all those other fish in the tank and only a small school of 10 neons they might feel better in the 10g. if there in bigger tanks they should have a bigger school imo. I know my school of 18 can spook easily.

if you moved the neons and guppies you could grab another loach and 2 more rainbows if you wanted.

I hope this helped.

EDIT... good question kinezumi... I assumed they are bolivian. I have never kept them before but iv heard a group is ok.. if they are german blue rams then only get 2 of them. I don't think a 50 gallon is really enough tank for more then 2 GBR's.

OP
Melissac584

Melissac584

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
rcarp said:
definitely add more danios. how about a few cory cats. I think they're entertaining and pretty cool! excited for you as you stock your tank. good luck and...

So I'm not overstocked, good to know. How many cories would you recommend? Thanks.

OP
Melissac584

Melissac584

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
kinezumi89 said:
Do you mean German rams or Bolivian rams? They're different I'd get a few more rainbows too. Killies are small and you should be able to add a couple. I'm not familiar with gudgeons though.
sorry, I meant bolivian rams....will fix original post. So I'm not overstocked and should increase the amount of rainbow and add Killies......how many killies? Thanks K!

bankruptjojo

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
there is nothing wrong with being overstocked if you keep the tank clean and there is no aggression. now putting fish in a tank that is to small that is another thing. overstocking is not a bad word lol... but obviously don't go crazy just know your about at your limit imo.

if you don't want to keep the 10 gallon going then dont. it will be fine if you don't mind keeping your eye on it and maybe doing some extra cleaning here and there.

one thing that would help is switching out the bolivian rams for 2 GBR's. the GBR's are smaller and obviously 2 instead of 4...

I would not add corys you have to many bottom dwelling fish with the loaches and rams.

OP
Melissac584

Melissac584

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
bankruptjojo said:
so...

6 rainbows
5 zebra loaches
1 DG
4 BR's
7 danios
4 platys
10 neons
and snails

I feel like that is a lil overstocked so deff don't add anymore fish. do you want to keep the 10 gallon running? I guess if you don't want to move any of these to the 10 gallon they can fit them in the 50g. just keep the tank extra clean and watch for aggression. what kind of filter do you have, I would get a canister soon as possible.

if you want to keep the 10 gallon going you could move the guppies and neons to the 10g. honestly with all those other fish in the tank and only a small school of 10 neons they might feel better in the 10g. if there in bigger tanks they should have a bigger school imo. I know my school of 18 can spook easily.

if you moved the neons and guppies you could grab another loach and 2 more rainbows if you wanted.

I hope this helped.

EDIT... good question kinezumi... I assumed they are bolivian. I have never kept them before but iv heard a group is ok.. if they are german blue rams then only get 2 of them. I don't think a 50 gallon is really enough tank for more then 2 GBR's.
This was a big help, Thank you! I have an aquaclear 70 HOB filter for my 50 gallon. You think I need something bigger or add another filter to the one I have? Thanks.

bankruptjojo

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I think that is a great filter but bigger in this case is always better. canisters can hold much more media. if you don't want to spend the money I understand. you can give that one a try, just make sure to stock very slow and watch your ammonia and nitrite.

eventually I think another filter would be best. I love running a canister along a HOB filter but its not necessary. you can get a good canister filer for around $60.

OP
Melissac584

Melissac584

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
bankruptjojo said:
I think that is a great filter but bigger in this case is always better. canisters can hold much more media. if you don't want to spend the money I understand. you can give that one a try, just make sure to stock very slow and watch your ammonia and nitrite.

eventually I think another filter would be best. I love running a canister along a HOB filter but its not necessary. you can get a good canister filer for around $60.
great advice, thanks. Will go out pricing larger filters tomorrow. I never had a canister, what one should I take a look at and what size? I plan to stock very slowly. Just wanted a finished list so I could figure which ones to add and when. Good point about the cories. I do a 30% wc once a week.....but I'm not fully stocked. As I add more fish I will change to 30% wc twice a week as well as increase the filter size. Like the idea of 2 GBR's. Thanks again

OP
Melissac584

Melissac584

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
BUMP AS I UPDATED MY LIST BASED ON SUGGESTIONS/ADVICE, THANKS!
Ok, so I have a 50 Long (48.5" Long x 12.7" Deep x 18.8" High) that is cycled and in process of stocking with fish and live plants.

Right now in the tank I have 4 platties/mollies, 10 neon tetras, 5 zebra danios, 3 male guppies and MTS/Mystery snails. I'm working on planting java ferns and amazon swords. I also have christmas and java moss.

Here's my stocking plan (in addition to those already in the tank - many thanks to Jaysee who helped me pick the fish):
2 more neon tetras to make a school of 12
8 dwarf neon rainbows
5 zebra loaches
1 blue dwarf gourami
2 GBR's
2 danios to make total of 7

Musey

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
rcarp said:

I second the cories! I LOVE cories and they are sooooo fun to watch. But you should have a sand substrate for cories.

OP
Melissac584

Melissac584

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Musey said:
I second the cories! I LOVE cories and they are sooooo fun to watch. But you should have a sand substrate for cories.
I do have sand......I was thinking not getting cories because I already have several bottom feeders with the GBR's and loaches. but thanks for the suggestion, they are pretty cool

bankruptjojo

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Melissac584 said:
I do have sand......I was thinking not getting cories because I already have several bottom feeders with the GBR's and loaches. but thanks for the suggestion, they are pretty cool
corys don't need sand just something smooth. make sure your grave is very smooth as the loaches also need a smooth surface.

Musey

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
bankruptjojo said:
corys don't need sand just something smooth. make sure your grave is very smooth as the loaches also need a smooth surface.
I don't know about that. I had some cories on smooth gravel. They kept getting swollen 'bubble' bellies that didn't look good at all (click here for of what it looked like). It looked like weird tumors or something that would bulge out all over the place. As soon as I moved them into a tank with sand, their bubbly bellies went away in about 48 hours. They have never gotten the bubble bellies again since then.

I read somewhere that cories will eat food that gets trapped between gravel/rocks and has started to decay. Then his decaying food causes gastrointestinal issues in their guts. I don't know how much truth there is to that theory... but I do know that my cories immediately got better after moving them onto sand.

OP
Melissac584

Melissac584

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
bankruptjojo said:
I used to have gravel and changed it specifically for the loaches (what a messy job that was!) I have the caribsea supernatural sand now.

New Threads