Final Stocking - Peacock Gudgeon (Peacock Goby)

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Yeoy, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Y

Yeoy Well Known Member Member

Gday all,

So all things going to plan, in a month or so I will have a 4ft long (60 gal) cycled and ready to stock up.

I have found a supplier in Australia who can ship me a number of Peacock Gudgeons of both genders :) FINALLY!

Tank will be heavily planted with small gravel substrate and a number of caves, ornaments, driftwood etc for hidey holes.

6 Peacock Gudgeons (2M 4F)
    10 Purple Emperor Tetras
    10 Harlequin Rasboras
    10 Julii Corys (Speaking with my supplier to see if they will clash with Gudgeons - bottom dwellers)
    8 Guppies (3M 5F)

With the tank planted how it is in my mind, with the caves and ornaments etc, I think there should be enough room for all the schools. I might adjust school numbers of PETs, HQs and Corys a little bit but I think it is pretty good. Any thoughts?

2. w

w_boughner Valued Member Member

Ok I'm sure you've done your reaserch but I know from experience they are mean !!!!! And will eat anything that will fit in there mouth even if it's to big to swallow they will try !!!!

On a side note they are beautiful fish and I do miss mine even as aggressave as he was

3. OP
    OP
    Y

The ones at my LFS were quite docile. I have read lots of conflicting reports but the breeder I get them from, who actually got them on the Import List to Australia himself, says his are quite friendly too. They can flare a bit during breeding as most fish do.

I have people/places I can move fish to if compatibility becomes an issue anyway. And I will stock slowly.

4. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

I had no issues with mine when I kept them. I even bred them for a while. They did eat newborn guppy fry, but they didn't go after any adult fish. Just place tubes all along the length of the tank in different places so the males can get away from one another if they want to. And maket he tubes easy to remove if you plan to attempt to rear any fry.

5. OP
    OP
    Y

All over it. I read all the old threads, I think some were yours? The guppy fry are available to be eaten, but I will be planted too.

6. OP
    OP
    Y

Also, do you guys see compatibility issues?

7. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

Hah, they might have been, it's been a few years. I think your stock plan is fine, although you might feel lacking for a centerpiece.

8. OP
    OP
    Y

Yeah I thought so, but if that turns to be an issue I will just shuffle. The LFS here is good about exchanging/trading healthy fish so k .not stressing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice