Final Stocking Idea, Approve?

GoldieMama

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm planning on going to the pet store today to get some fish to add my my established community tank.

I have 3 female bettas, 8 neon tetras, 1 dalmation molly, 2 female twinbar platies, and 1 nerite snail in a 30 gallon.

I'm planning on getting 2 female Mickey Mouse platies, 2 female Bettas, 2 nerite snails, 1 mystery snail and some other tetras or mollies. Do all tetras and mollies do fine with each other and will do okay in my tank?

Salty Betta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm planning on going to the pet store today to get some fish to add my my established community tank.

I have 3 female bettas, 8 neon tetras, 1 dalmation molly, 2 female twinbar platies, and 1 nerite snail in a 30 gallon.

I'm planning on getting 2 female Mickey Mouse platies, 2 female Bettas, 2 nerite snails, 1 mystery snail and some other tetras or mollies. Do all tetras and mollies do fine with each other and will do okay in my tank?
Hey, I dont suggest you adding anymore fish. If you add all the fishes you mentioned in a 30g tank, i believe your tank will be very overstocked. Besides, 5 bettas in 1 tank isnt a good idea, they are very terretorial and might end up fighting till death. I suggest rehoming the two bettas you have rn as well. I suggest just get another schooling fish, maybe some bottom dewellers like corys? Or a school of cherry barbs or black tetras.

Good luck with your new tank!

Definately send us pictures lol

Lance0414

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Neon Tetras need cooler water and should be rehomed. A Betta sorority would work, around 7 Female Bettas and then the Platies, the Molly should be rehomes as they get big and can be mean to smaller fish(Defiantly if it is a Sailfin). How about this stock?
7 Female Bettas(The bigger the group the less aggression to a single fish)
3-4 Platies(1 Male 2-3 Females)
8 Sterbai or Bronze Cories or 12 Kuhli Loaches
Temp.-78'F

GoldieMama

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hey, I dont suggest you adding anymore fish. If you add all the fishes you mentioned in a 30g tank, i believe your tank will be very overstocked. Besides, 5 bettas in 1 tank isnt a good idea, they are very terretorial and might end up fighting till death. I suggest rehoming the two bettas you have rn as well. I suggest just get another schooling fish, maybe some bottom dewellers like corys? Or a school of cherry barbs or black tetras.

Good luck with your new tank!

Definately send us pictures lol
Actually there's this thing called a Betta Sorority, where multiple female Betta's can live together and with other fish. According to AqAdvisor, my tank is only stocked 70% so there's plenty more room for more fish.

GoldieMama

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Neon Tetras need cooler water and should be rehomed. A Betta sorority would work, around 7 Female Bettas and then the Platies, the Molly should be rehomes as they get big and can be mean to smaller fish(Defiantly if it is a Sailfin). How about this stock?
7 Female Bettas(The bigger the group the less aggression to a single fish)
3-4 Platies(1 Male 2-3 Females)
8 Sterbai or Bronze Cories or 12 Kuhli Loaches
Temp.-78'F
Actually Neons can live in water 70-81 F, so they're perfectly fine in the current setup. I'm not going to rehome all my fish, they're doing very well in their current setup and I'm asking what else I can add.

Lance0414

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Actually Neons can live in water 70-81 F, so they're perfectly fine in the current setup. I'm not going to rehome all my fish, they're doing very well in their current setup and I'm asking what else I can add.
In the wild Neons live from 68-76'F, they can not thrive in anything higher and it will make them more prone to disease and it will shorten their lifespan.

GoldieMama

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
In the wild Neons live from 68-76'F, they can not thrive in anything higher and it will make them more prone to disease and it will shorten their lifespan.
I don't think a 1 or 2 degree difference will kill a fish :meh: can we please get back onto the topic this thread is supposed to be on

GoldieMama

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
What about this stocking?

5x female bettas
4x female platies
1x mollie
3x nerite snails
8x neon tetras
6x cherry barbs OR 6x glowlight tetras

Temperature: 75-77F
I like the plan except for the barbs/glowlights, they don't really appeal to me. Would fancy guppies, silver mollies, balloon belly mollies, and/or zebra danios work?

FeederGuppies

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I like the plan except for the barbs/glowlights, they don't really appeal to me. Would fancy guppies, silver mollies, balloon belly mollies, and/or zebra danios work?
I wouldn't add anymore mollies, they're waste-machines and grow quite large.

What about this?

5x female bettas
4x female platies
1x mollie
3x nerite snails
8x neon tetras
6x zebra danios

OR

5x female bettas
4x female platies
1x mollie
3x nerite snails
8x neon tetras
3-5x male guppies OR 5-7x male endlers/endler hybrids/feeder guppies

OR (if you really want some more mollies)

5x female bettas
2x female platies
1x mollie
3x nerite snails
8x neon tetras
2x female balloon mollies

Temp: 75-77F

Last edited:

GoldieMama

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year

What about this?

5x female bettas
4x female platies
1x mollie
3x nerite snails
8x neon tetras
6x zebra danios

OR

5x female bettas
4x female platies
1x mollie
3x nerite snails
8x neon tetras

5x female bettas
2x female platies
1x mollie
3x nerite snails
8x neon tetras

I'll see what the have in stock and go from there, would a dalmation molly breed with ballon mollies like any platy would breed with any other platy?

GoldieMama

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Okay this is my final plan to get:

2 female Bettas
2 female Mickey Mouse Platies
2 female Balloon Belly Mollies
5 Tetras (going to see which ones they have)
1 Mystery Snail

Salty Betta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years

What about this?

5x female bettas
4x female platies
1x mollie
3x nerite snails
8x neon tetras
6x zebra danios

OR

5x female bettas
4x female platies
1x mollie
3x nerite snails
8x neon tetras

5x female bettas
2x female platies
1x mollie
3x nerite snails
8x neon tetras

Hey, So i am not a expert at all, and I might be totally wrong here. But i dont think 5x Bettas would work as they like to be alone ans usually fight when kept with other bettas.
As I said, i might be wrong

GoldieMama

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hey, So i am not a expert at all, and I might be totally wrong here. But i dont think 5x Bettas would work as they like to be alone ans usually fight when kept with other bettas.
Yeah, you're completely wrong. There's this thing called a Betta sorority where multiple bettas are kept in the same tank..

FeederGuppies

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Female bettas can be successfully kept together if you have the right size tank and right number of bettas. Sometimes, though, it doesn't work out because of the bettas' aggressive nature.

FeederGuppies

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Okay this is my final plan to get:

2 female Bettas
2 female Mickey Mouse Platies
2 female Balloon Belly Mollies
5 Tetras (going to see which ones they have)
1 Mystery Snail
So, your final stocking would be:

5x female bettas
4x female platies
1x molly
1x nerite snail
8x neon tetra
1x mystery snail
5x tetras
2x balloon mollies

To me, that looks overstocked. I would get either the tetras or the mollies, not both.

GoldieMama

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So, your final stocking would be:

5x female bettas
4x female platies
1x molly
1x nerite snail
8x neon tetra
1x mystery snail
5x tetras
2x balloon mollies

To me, that looks overstocked. I would get either the tetras or the mollies, not both.
According to AqAdvisor, my tank would only be stocked 86%
AquStockImage.png

(I said 4 twinbars because they didn't have mickies as an option and didn't add the snails because they have a tiny bioload)

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom