Final Stocking Almost Done!

SakranMM

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I am 99% done with my final stocking plan. I would appreciate your thoughts/comments on what I have:

The tank is a 26 gallon cycled planted tank (amazon swords, java fern, jungle val, water wisteria, crypts); I do 40% water changes once a week.

Current Fish
Zebra danios x6
Cherry barbs x5
1 pair platies (male & female couple)
1 honey gouramI
1 yoyo loach

I didn't do enough research before I got the yoyo loach...I didn't realize that they are better kept in groups, so later this week I plan to pick up 2 more to finish out the stocking of the tank.

So, what do you think?

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yoyo loaches can get a good 5" & are active swimmers & imo need a bigger tank especially for a group of them.
Platies if keeping mixed sexes should have more females than males, 2/3females for every male, a single female can be harassed to death by the male, but with more females you'll have a lot more fry to deal with & would soon be overstocked.

OP
S

SakranMM

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Coradee said:
Platies if keeping mixed sexes should have more females than males, 2/3females for every male, a single female can be harassed to death by the male, but with more females you'll have a lot more fry to deal with & would soon be overstocked.
The platy couple was actually an accident. I asked for two males at the pet store, and when I got home, I found a male and a female. I was going to take her back and exchange her for a male, but I kept procrastinating. I thought the male would harass her, but he is so laid back. They kind of float side by side. He is really peaceful, doesn't bother her at all.

As for the fry, yes, I have definitely thought of that. But my hope is that the other fish in the tank can take care of them. If not, I have a hungry betta in a 5 gallon that would be more than happy!

As for the yoyo loach, yeah, I agree, it seems like a group would be too big for the tank. I may end up taking the one I got back...not sure yet though. I want to see how he ends up working out after a few weeks.

thatfishboy

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yes u will definitely have fry, with my two females and one male swordtail I now have 28+ fry in my other tank

OP
S

SakranMM

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Dang it...I went to go look for the loach to catch him and take him back to the LFS...he's gone and hidden himself in some obscure corner of my driftwood or under the gravel somewhere...totally out of sigh.

New Threads