Final stock plan, getting need opinions please!

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Bijou88, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

In my 40b I think I've finally settled on my stock, i wanted to know if it looked doable to you guys.

14 platies
    13 mystery snails
    1 bn pleco
    10 neon tetras
    9 albino cories
    1 dwarf gourami

I know it's not terribly accurate but aqadvisor says I'm at 104% stocking with 203% filtration.

Do you think this sounds ok? The snails, platies, cories and pleco definitely can't go btw. Would I be better off getting 3 or 4 guppies instead of the tetras? It seems like the tetras have a lower bioload though so I'm not sure. And before anyone tells me that the platies will overrun my tank, they have their own 20g grow out tank before they get rehomed.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. :) TYIA!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. babynemo

babynemo Valued Member Member

I would stick to the tetras, depending on if you want female Guppies. Or if you're willing to deal with Platy fry and Guppy fry. I personally really love neon tetras.
    I think it's up to your preference rather or not you go with Guppies instead of Tetras.
    :D

3. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

I had a similar quandry and ended up going with 3 male guppies. I enjoy them. Very little aggression between the 3 and really no nipping. With all of the platies I would do an all male group if you went with guppies.

Came very close to going with tetras but the wife decided she liked the guppies more. Now that I have them I think the guppies are a bit more entertaining. Always together...racing each other up and down the corner of the tank.

4. Nympxzie

Nympxzie Valued Member Member

The tank sounds a little busy imo. Aqadvisor will let you overstock tanks and isn't very accurate. 14 platy and 3 guppy will add a massive bioload, so will the pleco.
    I would do guppies over tetra because the platy requires harder water than the neon and won't be 100% compatible because of that.
    I would definitely cut your platy stock in half though, or keep the platy stock and omit the pleco, or tetra/guppies.

5. OP
    OP
    Bijou88

Ok, the platies, snails and cories I have already, the bn will be replacing my common that I have currently when he gets rehomed. If I got the guppies they would be females since I have a good ratio of male/female on the platies and don't want my girls harassed by more males. I'm leaning towards the guppy girls I think. I may not get the gourami.

6. babynemo

babynemo Valued Member Member

The gourami would eat fry imo.

7. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Gouramis will eat livebearer fry.
    It looks stocked to me, but are all of the platies male, or not? The babies would overstock your tank, as some will likely survive.....
    I would stick with the gourami.

8. OP
    OP
    Bijou88

As I said (though not very clearly) the fry have their own 20g grow out tank. I'm not super worried since I get giant litters and am definitely not opposed to a few being eaten...

I currently have 3 males, 6 females, all adults and 4 fry that are mostly grown and still appear female. One one littler fry who gets to stay because she was very good at not being caught.

The pleco is non negotiable, I'm not extra attached to the thought of schoolers, i mostly feel like I want some blue in there as stupid as that sounds. But I'd rather not overload it.

On second thought I probably shouldn't add anyone else other than the pleco switch since I have mystery snail babies galore in there that will be plucked out as they get bigger into their own grow out to be sold.

Thanks guys.

9. OP
    OP
    Bijou88

Well, I failed at staying with my current stock. Went to my favorite lfs to get some new food for the kiddos and ended up leaving with a juvie GBR....if I end up having to move some of the platies to another tank so be it. I was actually planning on making my 20h qt a show tank and making my old 10g fry tank the new qt at some point anyway. My main tanks sits at around 77-78 degrees, is that alright for the GBR? For some reason i had it in my head that they were good down to around 76 degrees, which upon further research seems to be incorrect....if he/she can't do 78 he/she may get to live in the 20g with some different warm water friends....though I'd rather not if it's not necessary.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
  10. Anders247

They're better in 80-82 Fahrenheit.

11. OP
    OP
    Bijou88

After a little over an hour drip acclimating she's in the qt.

I'm thinking it's a she because of her fin shapes but I may be wrong.

She's started coloring up a little already which I take as a good sign, and she's pecking around on the bottom looking for food which is also encouraging since I hear they can be finicky about food when they're new.

She pecked a ramshorn which noticeably startled her so I doubt she'll be doing that again, lol.
    I'll take some pictures later tonight when I turn the lights on for a bit.

12. OP
    OP
    Bijou88

Can my platies be at 80? I know they'll have shortened lifespans potentially. Right now my tank stays around 78 without the heater so they're used to it being a bit warmer anyway as It can't get cooler than that in the summer. Could I compromise and do 79 do you think? Everything I've read on rams says 78-85 with 80-82 being ideal but 78+ being acceptable.

I hate to be one of "those people" but it is what it is. I couldn't resist her so now I have to figure something out since she's non returnable.

13. Anders247

Do you have a 10g you could put her in?

14. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Uhh are you suggesting the ram in a 10g?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

15. Anders247

Lol, no way. I meant the platy.

16. Dom90

She said platies... But the ram is singular so I was confused.

17. Anders247

Never mind my suggestion, 14 platies would be way too much for a 10g.....

18. OP
    OP
    Bijou88

Haha, nooooo, the platies are staying where they are, at most a few will be moved to the 20g. That's why I'm trying to find a temperature compromise...so....is a compromise possible? She's got about 3-4 weeks in qt yet, but if that ends up being her tank she'll have to share it with a couple hundred mystery snail fry for the next 2 months since I was possibly going to put most of the babes in there until they're big enough to sell.

19. Anders247

I guess you could keep it at 79.....

20. Dom90

He finally gave in to the demand lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice